When you think of a bratwurst, visions of Oktoberfest probably dance in your head. But they’re *so* much more than an accompaniment to your favorite German beer. Consider the grill, for example. You tend to opt for a cheeseburger or a hot dog to satisfy your desire for a quick grilled meal, but a juicy and flavorful brat can ease that craving like no other. You can eat them al fresco or on a bun, and top them with caramelized onions, fruity salsa, or even macaroni and cheese (yep, you read that right). The options are infinite, and the 13 recipes below are here to prove it.
1. Irish Brat Burger: Think outside of the brat’s casing and mix the inside meat with ground beef for an incredible burger experience. Top with a vinegary slaw and grilled onions to finish it off. (via Girl Carnivore)
2. Beer Brats With Sweet Tequila Salsa: Most bratwursts have a very savory flavor that pairs perfectly with a sweet salsa. This one is full of pineapple, tomatoes, and peppers with a boozy kick from tequila. (via Mantitlement)
3. Beer Cheese Jalapeño Brats: If you slather beer cheese on just about anything it’s guaranteed to be amazing, but imagine it all over a juicy brat. Plus, if the jalapeños are too hot for you, the cheese will help balance the heat. (via Will Cook for Smiles)
4. Brat and Veggie Kabobs: These low-carb skewers are perfect for the warmer months when you don’t want anything too heavy. Go for a cheesy cheddar brat to pair with the fresh summer veggies. (via Mandy’s Recipe Box)
5. Jalapeño Beer Brats: One bite of these smokey jalapeño brats and you’ll feel like you’ve been treated to a gourmet sausage of dreams. They’re dressed up with caramelized onions, Swiss cheese, and hot mustard for even more of a kick. (via Spicy Southern Kitchen)
7. Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Beer Brats With Drunken Peppers and Onions: Sometimes you just feel like showing off, and those times call for bacon-wrapped brats. Pile on beer-braised peppers and onions, and finish with a drizzle of your favorite BBQ sauce before serving. (via Cravings of a Lunatic)
9. Cheddar Ranch BLT Brats: If you have picky eaters in the house, you’ll have them at cheddar and ranch. Serve ’em in a big hoagie roll so you can fit in all those toppings. (via Lemon Tree Dwelling)
10. Mac and Beer Cheese Brats With Beer Caramelized Onions: Who wants mac and cheese as a side when you could just have it on your brat? Don’t knock it ’til you try it; you’ll be obsessed. (via Beeroness)
12. Pineapple Teriyaki Turkey Brats: If classic brats are too heavy for you, these lean turkey brats will be right up your alley. Their light texture complements the teriyaki and pineapple salsa for a meal that won’t weigh you down. (via Lemons for Lulu)
13. Grilled Brats With Southern Toppings: Whether you’re team pimento cheese or team green tomatoes, there’s a Southern favorite for you to top your brat with. Both go great with an ultra-spicy sausage, so grab the hottest you can find. (via Spicy Southern Kitchen)
Follow us on Pinterest for more summer recipes!