Here’s Our Predictions for Outstanding Style Performances at the 2017 SAG Awards
While everyone’s buzzing about the recently released Oscars nominations (which are far more diverse this year than years past, though not without controversy), celebrities such as Emma Stone and Natalie Portman are prepping to make appearances at this Sunday’s SAG Awards (tune in on TBS), where they’ve all been nominated for awards. As we want to see who takes home the trophies with bated breath, we’re placing bets on who’ll be winning in the style department based on what they’ve worn in years past. See who we think will be winning on this year’s carpet below!
1. Emma Stone: Leading the pack is style star Emma Stone, who’s been slaying the red carpet with her La La Land premiere looks all season.
The Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor nominee may have grown up a lot since her 2012 win for The Help, for which she wore a short black tea party Alexander McQueen frock with an embellished bust, but the 2015 Christian Dior ensemble she wore to accept her cast win for Birdman proved she clearly has a type when it comes to this red carpet attire: sophisticated and black. We dig it. (Photos via Alberto E. Rodriguez + Jon Kopaloff/Getty)
2. Winona Ryder: Winona’s been out of the style spotlight for a while, but if the actress, who’s been given a nod for her role in Stranger Things, dons anything half as breathtaking as the Alberta Ferretti gown she wore to the 2011 awards, she’ll be stealing the show again in no time. (Photo via Steve Grantiz/Getty)
3. Natalie Portman: Anyone that can slay the red carpet while pregnant the way 2011 Outstanding Female Actor winner Natalie Portman did in Azarro that year can pretty much do no wrong (though she didn’t look half bad sans babe in Giambattista Valli at the 2012 awards either).
She’ll be with child again at this year’s awards, but seeing as how she already made maternity chic at the Golden Globes, we’ve no doubt she’s about to do it again. (Photos via Gregg DeGuire + Jon Kopaloff/Getty)
4. Nicole Kidman: The Vivienne Westwood frock Nicole donned to the 2013 SAGs was way ahead of its time, thanks to its sheer elements (a trend that was STILL taking over red carpets last we checked), so we can’t wait to see what trends she’ll be rocking — nay, predicting — this year. (Photos via Kevin Mazur + Gregg DeGuire/Getty)
5. Amy Adams: Amy may have gotten snubbed by the Oscars this year, but she’s up for a SAG for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor, and made our list of SAG style stars to boot.
In fact, with her tried and true formula of structured, curve-hugging column gowns (see her Antonio Bernardi blue and Giambattisa Valli plum gowns above), there’s no way she can lose. (Photos via Steve Granitz + Don McMedan/Getty)
5. Viola Davis: Viola Davis just made history as the first black woman to be nominated for three Oscars, but back in 2009, she was making style history in a bright yellow single-shoulder David Meister gown that took her fashion game next level. Given the recent buzz surrounding the Fences star, the style stakes are high this year, but we’ve got a sneaking suspicion she won’t disappoint. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
6. Emily Blunt: Natalie’s not the only one that can do maternity evening wear right: While Emily’s 2009 sequined Pamela Rolland gown (complete with uber-low scoop-back) happens to be our fave of her SAG looks, the green Oscar de la Renta one-shoulder dress she wore at the 2012 Awards show was every-bit as eye-catching.
Girl’s versatile, making her a fashion victor all-around. (Photo via Jon Kopaloff + Jeffrey Mayer/Getty)
7. Thandie Newton: Thandie’s one for one thus far with regard to the SAGs: Not only did she take home an award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast for Crash in 2006, but she did the dang thing on the red carpet too. We LOVED her buttercup Louisa Beccaria dress so much, in fact, we’re predicting this year will see her going two for two on the fashion front. (Photo via Jeff Kravitz/Getty)
8. Michelle Williams: Partner or no partner (RIP Heath), long hair or short, Michelle never fails to stun: One need only view the Marchesa and Valentino gowns she wore to the 2011 and 2012 SAGs for proof.
Up for both a cast and individual performance award this year, we’re betting she’ll look twice as nice, taking home gold in the style sector too. (Photos via Gregg DeGuire + Patrick McMullan/Getty)
Who do you think will win big on this year’s red carpet? Cast your vote over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)