Essential oils may seem like mysterious potions to the untrained mind. But with a little bit of know-how, you can harness the practice to help keep you healthy during the cold months. Turn to one of these natural remedies if the sniffles threaten, and you’ll be feeling better in no time.
1. Oregano Oil: Feeling a stomach virus coming on? Oregano oil is here to help. Just pop a capsule, and your stomach will thank you. (via Hello Natural)
2. Eucalyptus Oil: Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil into steaming hot water and start breathing deeply. It’ll run your sinus infection out of town. (via Hello Natural)
3. Lime Oil: Lime oil is all three A’s: antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral. Pop it into some homemade all-purpose cleaner to get a head start on those colds. (via Popsugar)
4. Peppermint Oil: Along with just smelling great, peppermint oil does all kinds of good for your respiratory system. Make some aromatherapy tissues with it, and you’ll be using them even when you aren’t sniffly. (via Hello Natural)
5. Ginger Oil: Flu got you down and out? Bust your nausea wide open with the ginger in these homemade cough drops. (via Hello Natural)
6. Thyme Oil: Boost your immunity this winter with thyme oil. Put it in some homemade bath salts for yet another excuse to linger in the suds a little longer. (via Mad in Crafts)
7. Frankincense Oil: Considering its amazing antiseptic abilities, making your own hand sanitizer with frankincense oil is probably a good idea. (via Hello Natural)
8. Clove Oil: As a natural antibacterial, clove oil would pair just perfectly with the orange oil in this homemade soap. (via Offbeat and Inspired)
9. Hyssop Oil: Is that pesky respiratory infection getting you down? Make these aromatherapy shower tablets with hyssop oil and relax in the steam. (via Hello Natural)
10. Lemon Oil: During those sun-less winter weeks, sometimes all we want is a little boost. Lemon oil is a lovely energizing oil that will give it to you. (via Alyssa and Carla)
Do you have any go-to essential oils for colds? Tell us below!