26 IKEA Hacks to Freshen Up Your Bedroom
New home, new season, new family member… whatever the reason, it’s time for a bedroom update. Instead of spending a small fortune for a more polished look, you can just head to IKEA or recycle the pieces you already have. That’s right, we’re bringing you IKEA hacks: bedroom edition. We’ve got gorgeous headboards, glam dressers and stylish nightstands to help you achieve the bedroom of your (affordable) decor dreams. Say goodbye to your drab, plain bedroom, and say hello to a shiny, colorful one, all thanks to our favorite Swedish furniture store.
1. Hand-Painted Pillows: This tutorial shows you how to DIY pillows, but we’re thinking you could just pick up a pile of white pillows from IKEA and spend the afternoon painting colorful patterns on them. (via Etsy)
4. DIY Headboard: If that plain white bed frame keeps taunting you, cover it up with adhesive reclaimed wood. Just peel and stick — no woodworking skills required. (via Sugar and Cloth)
5. Custom Cork Board: Add some colorful wall decor to keep favorite photos, love notes and even jewelry right in sight. We’re thinking this would also be a great addition to any office. (via Oh Everything Handmade)
6. DIY Gilded Accordion Sconce: Looking for creative ways to add some lighting in a small space? Hack these pretty little lights with an IKEA accordion arm and a lampshade from Target. (via Francois et Moi)
7. Four Poster Bed: Who knew an IKEA bed could look so glam? If you’re ready to go all out, make over the Malm bed by adding posts and maybe a breezy canopy. (via Hester’s Handmade Home)
9. DIY Upholstered Headboard: Upholstered headboards are expensive, but the IKEA Tarva headboard is not. Get the luxurious look with a colorful day project. (via Making Home Base)
More Ideas to Consider:
10. Nailhead Headboard: All you’ll need for this DIY are a few IKEA curtains to cover the headboard and some upholstery nails. Before you know it, you’ll have a colorful update for your kiddo’s room. (via Cuckoo 4 Design)
11. Marble Credenza: Depending on your budget, you could either put a slab of marble on top of an IKEA dresser or just go with the marble contact paper option. Either way, the result is light, bright and quite expensive looking. (via Design Love Fest)
13. Rug Pillows: You don’t even need good sewing skills for this pillow hack. Grab some cool patterned rugs from IKEA, fold, stuff and sew. Ta-da!
15. Bar Cart Night Stand: A little unusual, but all three of the shelves on this bar cart offer some amazing bedside storage. For anything you don’t want visible, throw it in pretty boxes. (via The Every Girl)
15. Gold Chevron Table: Add some personality to a plain white tabletop by laying out a design with tape and painting it gold or any other bright accent color you want to incorporate into your room. (via Dwell Beautiful)
16. IKEA Pouf Makeover: Looking to add some color and texture to your bedroom? Wrap the IKEA bamboo pouf in some serious swag. All you need is a pile of fabric scraps to twist together and wrap, wrap, wrap. (via Cherry and Mint)
17. Handwriting Side Table: For the most personal side table ever, write a love note across the top. Make sure you cover with a top coat so none of that love rubs away.
18. Upholstered Headboard: Sometimes you just want a little bit of height behind your head while you’re reading or have a Netflix binge. Use a piece of shelving to add extra height to the Malm bed frame. (via Place of My Taste)
19. Moroccan Wedding Blanket: We are totally head over heals in love with this Moroccan wedding blanket. Sparkling and tassled, this DIY will take some time, but the effort is well worth it.
21. Upholstered Bench: Turn a long TV stand into a gilded bench to put at the end of your bed. The lower shelf is great for storing pretty things and the upholstered top is a fun way to bring in another accent color or pattern.
23. Ombre Plant House: If you’re not tired of ombre yet, play with an adult version of a dollhouse and turn it into a fun little plant display. (via Monsters Circus)
24. Gem Mirror: Grab a little round mirror and wooden clock face and mount this beauty over your dressing table for some seriously good vibes. (via Design Love Fest)
25. Wire Basket Side Table: We are a little obsessed with this bright and sunny hack, but you could play around with different wood stains and colors to find the perfect combo that works with your decor. (via I Spy DIY)
What bedroom DIYs have you been working on lately? Share your projects and hacks in the comments below!