51 Ways to DIY the Bedroom of Your Kids’ Dreams
Before baby, you were all starry-eyed with visions of a picture perfect nursery — a place your kid could call his own. Fast forward a few years, and you’ve experienced your fair share of panic attacks because “WHAT is all over the carpet!?” or “WHO wrote on the wall!?” Kids rooms are meant to be played in and lived in. So why not create a room that encourages creative play? If your youngster’s room is looking a bit, shall we say “bleh,” it’s time to do something about it. Raising a kid might be full of surprises, but it’ll be no surprise that your kid will be delighted with these DIYs that turn boring into brilliant. Watch out room, here we come.
1. Geometric Tasseled Pillows: Anyone up for a game of “can’t touch the floor?” Alright. Then you’re going to need some oversized pillows. Extra points if they’re brightly colored and come with tassels. (via Brit + Co)
3. Simple Art Desk: Two boards and metal brackets create an instant wall desk and a spot your little Picasso won’t be able to resist. Here’s a bonus idea: Provide plenty of washi tape so they can proudly display their art on the wall, too. (via A Boo and the Boy)
6. Mountain-scape Mural: Prepare yourself. You’re about to DIY a dream room that you’ll want for yourself. We love how every feature in this minimalistic room supports the adventure theme. (via Poppytalk)
10. Triangular Wall Storage System: Obviously you’re completely mad about your little love bugs, but the mess they sometimes leave around? Not so much. Help them help you keep your sanity with a place to store away all those odds and ends. (via Brit + Co)
19. Rotating Kids Art Gallery: The offspring of such a crafty person is going to be cranking out art on the regular. Display his or her latest creations with a simple VELCRO gallery wall. (via Brit + Co)
20. DIY Storage Tree: Preventing uncontrolled toy explosions is nearly impossible when you have little ones around. A storage tree like this one will definitely help restore some control over the situation. (via Handmade Charlotte)
21. DIY Stuffed Animal Chair: Talk about yer stuffed animal overload. What family hasn’t experienced it at some point? When your kiddo’s posse of pretty stuffies starts to get a bit out of hand, consider giving some of those pets a new home. We’re not sure if this is the most genius idea ever or just plain wrong. (via Jesussauvage)
22. Washi Tape Wall Mural: Once again, washi tape comes to the rescue. The wall’s an empty canvas and your friend washi can help you create virtually any image your mind can dream up. (via Land of Nod)
24. Chic Mobile: Alright, you might look at this and think “nursery” rather than “kid’s room,” but hear us out. If you’ve got an empty corner that could use a little point of interest, consider this that point. (via Brit + Co)
33. Temporary Wall Paper Using Washi Tape: Today your mini’s favorite color might be purple, tomorrow it might be red. Painting is a pain, but washi tape can do wonders for design and for changing fancies. (via Brit + Co)
34. Indoor Doorjamb Swing: Kids these days… they’re obsessed with phones and and friending Facebookers before they’ve even learned to ride a bike. Show them what they’re missing. Bring back the real toys. How about this indoor swing? (via Varpunen)
48. DIY Floating Shelves: Storage is essential to any kid-friendly room. DIY a place for your kiddo to stash their goodies and they’ll be delighted to give each toy a neat little home. (via Handmade Charlotte)
51. Typography Banner: Birthdays, first days of school, science fair winner — no matter what the occasion, this banner can you help you celebrate all the important milestones in their lives. (via Brit + Co)
Are you feeling inspired to give your kid’s room a makeover? Chat with us about your favorite DIY ideas in the comments!