Here Is Everything You Need to Add to Your Netflix Queue This Month
We’ll definitely be attending our share of backyard parties and patio outings this summer, but we’ll also be spending some serious quality time with our Netflix queue. If you too occasionally need to spend a little me time in the air conditioned confines of your living room (Netflix and DIY facial scrubs, FTW), here are some amazing films and TV shows to mark on your summer calendar.
1. Pretty Little Liars, Season 5: If you’re up to date on all things PLL, you and your friends have probably conjured up some serious, “Who is A?” theories. If you’re a few episodes behind, get caught up with the fifth season (just added June 1!) so you can dive into the summer premiere! (Photo via ABC)
2. The Aviator: Leonardo DiCaprio portrays eccentric tycoon Howard Hughes, who turned a small fortune into a massive one by building Hollywood and aviation empires. If you remember, this movie got major Oscar noms. Don’t remember? Time to watch it again. (Photo via Miramax)
3. Hector and the Search for Happiness: Leaving behind a lucrative career as a psychiatrist, discontented Hector begins a journey across the planet in search of genuine happiness. Along the way, he experiences a succession of unusual adventures that alter his perspective. (Photo via Egoli Tossell Film)
4. On the Road: You read the book back in college, and now it’s time to watch those lovable wayward characters come to life on your TV screen. At the height of the Beat era, New York writer Sal Paradise, his freewheeling buddy Dean and Dean’s wife set out on a journey of self-discovery. Their cross-country quest for answers reflects the American character, attitudes and values of the time. (Photo via MK2 Productions)
5. Grace of Monaco: You won’t be able to peel your eyes away from the story of former Hollywood star Grace Kelly’s crisis of marriage and identity, during a political dispute between Monaco’s Prince Rainier III and France’s Charles De Gaulle and a looming French invasion of Monaco in the early ’60s. (Photo via Stone Angels)
6. Nightcrawler: When Lou Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of LA crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran. (Photo via Bold Films)
7. Orange is the New Black, Season 3: You’ve been waiting for this day since your one-day binge of season 2 was over. Tune in and see what our favorite cell-block girls get up to in a whole new season. (Photo via Netflix)
8. Scandal, Season 4: Alright, so maybe you already watched every single episode of Scandal when it aired on TV, but when a show is this good, a re-watch is never a bad decision. (Photo via ABC)
9. Backstreet Boys: Show ‘Em What You’re Made Of: Spend your next #TBT with some BSB. This behind-the-scenes look at one of our favorite boy bands is so raw, we don’t think our pre-teen selves could have handled it. (Photo via Pulse Films)
10. Lee Daniels’ The Butler: Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker delivers a powerful performance as Cecil Gaines, who served as the White House butler under eight presidents. His three decades of service unfold against a backdrop of unparalleled change in American history — and addresses issues that we’re still sadly dealing with today. (Photo via Follow Through Productions)
11. A Most Wanted Man: A half-Russian, half-Chechen man, brutalized by torture, arrives in Hamburg, where he seeks a British banker’s help in recovering his father’s estate. But the man may not be all he seems to be in this riveting adaptation of John le Carré’s novel. Watch it and prepare for a twist! (Photo via Lionsgate)
12. Katy Perry: The Prismatic World Tour: No worries if you missed KP on her tour. Invite some friends over and watch her amazing performances on Netflix later this month instead! (Photo via Direct Management Group)
13. What Happened, Miss Simone?: Music lovers, you’re going to want to see this — a documentary about the life and legend Nina Simone, an American singer, pianist and civil rights activist labeled the “High Priestess of Soul.” (Photo via Netflix)
What will you be adding to your Netflix queue this month? Share with us in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.