Follow These Instagram Accounts for Backyard Party Inspo
We’re over here happily breaking out the pastels and stuffing our parkas into the depths of our closets. With weekends shining brighter and warmer, it’s time to tackle your outdoor space. Whether you have a dilapidated deck or an overgrown lawn, a few easy decor changes can take your backyard from scary to party-worthy. We’re sharing our favorite outdoor party spaces as inspo for the ultimate backyard redesign.
1. @ohjoy: Super-blogger Joy Cho is the queen of bright design, especially when it comes to party decor. DIY this outdoor setup by using specialty paint to add fun patterns to a set of ghost chairs. Add a crisp white table and bright stems to complete the look.
2. @joannagaines: It’s no surprise that Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper are everyone’s favorite HGTV couple. Joanna has a rustic-chic aesthetic that is spot on for their Waco, Texas hometown. Copy their look with white paint and linens paired with a burlap runner and wood accents for a comfortable, refined look. Need a dash of glamour? Go for a sparkly chandelier.
3. @homepolish: Not all backyards have to be overflowing with color. The bold blues add a pop of color, while the wood accents give the space a natural touch. Add a gilded mirror to your outdoor wall to add some drama.
4. @brightbazaar: If you’re obsessed with Mad Men, then this retro-inspired design was made for you. Find a vintage outdoor table set at a nearby flea market and spray paint it a glossy white to clean up the design. Add colorful seat cushions and paper lanterns for a backyard that demands attention.
5. @designlovefest: We’re in love with this beautiful outdoor space, captured by Bri Emery of DesignLoveFest. To recreate this look in your backyard, stain your porch or pergola a deep natural shade and drape white fabric for a breezy atmosphere.
6. @juliahengel: Julia of Gal Meets Glam travels all over the world and shares her finds with her followers. Recreate this adorable outdoor breakfast nook with a white wrought-iron table set. If you’re doing a major renovation, consider using terracotta tiles, which add a rustic, old-world feel to any patio. Coffee al fresco, anyone?
7. @glitterguide: Twinkling lights make any backyard seem magical, while this bar cart filled with libations and different plants seems like it sprouted directly from the ground. Add a unique runner to ground the space, and welcome all the pups.
8. @homebeautiful: We would LOVE to find this hidden quaint corner from Home Beautiful in our backyard. The wooden swing is an easy DIY and the pillars look as though they’ve been there for years. Add a whimsical rug and side table to create a truly magical spot.
9. @emily_katz: This homespun setup from Emily Katz can easily be recreated by pulling items from your own home. Lay a brightly colored rug on the lawn and pull different seating options around your main table. String white lights through the trees for a perfect summer party atmosphere.
10. @TuulaVintage: Jessica Stein shares pics from all over the world, and she recently captured this beautiful outdoor space in Bali. To recreate it in your backyard, pair hand-carved furniture with comfy pillows and cushions.
11. @apartmenttherapy: You don’t need a huge outdoor space to make a statement. Paint wooden flower boxes a bright yellow or pink and pair with natural wood tones and lush plants for a space that will definitely wake you up in the morning.
12. @huntersalley: Do you embrace more of a boho style? Create a look similar to the one we found on Hunters Alley with bold, unique throws and patterned textiles. Candles and a hammock are the perfect finishing touches for a laid-back space.
13. @dominomag: Don’t be pattern shy when decorating your backyard. Domino shows that animal prints can work in any urban patio or suburban backyard space, especially when paired with a gorgeous, bold color like the cobalt blue in the photo above.
14. @lonnymag: What is it about fire pits that call for the occasional (okay, weekly) s’more? Create a similar corner in your backyard by pairing comfy Adirondack chairs and monogrammed blanket with pillows in your favorite eye-popping shade.
Which Insta-famous account inspires your home design? Share in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.