Follow These Instagram Accounts for Backyard Party Inspo
We’re over here happily breaking out the pastels and stuffing our parkas into the depths of our closets. With weekends shining brighter and warmer, it’s time to tackle your outdoor space. Whether you have a dilapidated deck or an overgrown lawn, a few easy decor changes can take your backyard from scary to party-worthy. We’re sharing our favorite outdoor party spaces as inspo for the ultimate backyard redesign.
1. @ohjoy: Super-blogger Joy Cho is the queen of bright design, especially when it comes to party decor. DIY this outdoor setup by using specialty paint to add fun patterns to a set of ghost chairs. Add a crisp white table and bright stems to complete the look.
2. @joannagaines: It’s no surprise that Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper are everyone’s favorite HGTV couple. Joanna has a rustic-chic aesthetic that is spot on for their Waco, Texas hometown. Copy their look with white paint and linens paired with a burlap runner and wood accents for a comfortable, refined look. Need a dash of glamour? Go for a sparkly chandelier.
3. @homepolish: Not all backyards have to be overflowing with color. The bold blues add a pop of color, while the wood accents give the space a natural touch. Add a gilded mirror to your outdoor wall to add some drama.
4. @brightbazaar: If you’re obsessed with Mad Men, then this retro-inspired design was made for you. Find a vintage outdoor table set at a nearby flea market and spray paint it a glossy white to clean up the design. Add colorful seat cushions and paper lanterns for a backyard that demands attention.
5. @designlovefest: We’re in love with this beautiful outdoor space, captured by Bri Emery of DesignLoveFest. To recreate this look in your backyard, stain your porch or pergola a deep natural shade and drape white fabric for a breezy atmosphere.
6. @juliahengel: Julia of Gal Meets Glam travels all over the world and shares her finds with her followers. Recreate this adorable outdoor breakfast nook with a white wrought-iron table set. If you’re doing a major renovation, consider using terracotta tiles, which add a rustic, old-world feel to any patio. Coffee al fresco, anyone?
7. @glitterguide: Twinkling lights make any backyard seem magical, while this bar cart filled with libations and different plants seems like it sprouted directly from the ground. Add a unique runner to ground the space, and welcome all the pups.
8. @homebeautiful: We would LOVE to find this hidden quaint corner from Home Beautiful in our backyard. The wooden swing is an easy DIY and the pillars look as though they’ve been there for years. Add a whimsical rug and side table to create a truly magical spot.
9. @emily_katz: This homespun setup from Emily Katz can easily be recreated by pulling items from your own home. Lay a brightly colored rug on the lawn and pull different seating options around your main table. String white lights through the trees for a perfect summer party atmosphere.
10. @TuulaVintage: Jessica Stein shares pics from all over the world, and she recently captured this beautiful outdoor space in Bali. To recreate it in your backyard, pair hand-carved furniture with comfy pillows and cushions.
11. @apartmenttherapy: You don’t need a huge outdoor space to make a statement. Paint wooden flower boxes a bright yellow or pink and pair with natural wood tones and lush plants for a space that will definitely wake you up in the morning.
12. @huntersalley: Do you embrace more of a boho style? Create a look similar to the one we found on Hunters Alley with bold, unique throws and patterned textiles. Candles and a hammock are the perfect finishing touches for a laid-back space.
13. @dominomag: Don’t be pattern shy when decorating your backyard. Domino shows that animal prints can work in any urban patio or suburban backyard space, especially when paired with a gorgeous, bold color like the cobalt blue in the photo above.
14. @lonnymag: What is it about fire pits that call for the occasional (okay, weekly) s’more? Create a similar corner in your backyard by pairing comfy Adirondack chairs and monogrammed blanket with pillows in your favorite eye-popping shade.
Which Insta-famous account inspires your home design? Share in the comments below!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!