Follow These Instagram Accounts for Backyard Party Inspo
We’re over here happily breaking out the pastels and stuffing our parkas into the depths of our closets. With weekends shining brighter and warmer, it’s time to tackle your outdoor space. Whether you have a dilapidated deck or an overgrown lawn, a few easy decor changes can take your backyard from scary to party-worthy. We’re sharing our favorite outdoor party spaces as inspo for the ultimate backyard redesign.
1. @ohjoy: Super-blogger Joy Cho is the queen of bright design, especially when it comes to party decor. DIY this outdoor setup by using specialty paint to add fun patterns to a set of ghost chairs. Add a crisp white table and bright stems to complete the look.
2. @joannagaines: It’s no surprise that Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper are everyone’s favorite HGTV couple. Joanna has a rustic-chic aesthetic that is spot on for their Waco, Texas hometown. Copy their look with white paint and linens paired with a burlap runner and wood accents for a comfortable, refined look. Need a dash of glamour? Go for a sparkly chandelier.
3. @homepolish: Not all backyards have to be overflowing with color. The bold blues add a pop of color, while the wood accents give the space a natural touch. Add a gilded mirror to your outdoor wall to add some drama.
4. @brightbazaar: If you’re obsessed with Mad Men, then this retro-inspired design was made for you. Find a vintage outdoor table set at a nearby flea market and spray paint it a glossy white to clean up the design. Add colorful seat cushions and paper lanterns for a backyard that demands attention.
5. @designlovefest: We’re in love with this beautiful outdoor space, captured by Bri Emery of DesignLoveFest. To recreate this look in your backyard, stain your porch or pergola a deep natural shade and drape white fabric for a breezy atmosphere.
6. @juliahengel: Julia of Gal Meets Glam travels all over the world and shares her finds with her followers. Recreate this adorable outdoor breakfast nook with a white wrought-iron table set. If you’re doing a major renovation, consider using terracotta tiles, which add a rustic, old-world feel to any patio. Coffee al fresco, anyone?
7. @glitterguide: Twinkling lights make any backyard seem magical, while this bar cart filled with libations and different plants seems like it sprouted directly from the ground. Add a unique runner to ground the space, and welcome all the pups.
8. @homebeautiful: We would LOVE to find this hidden quaint corner from Home Beautiful in our backyard. The wooden swing is an easy DIY and the pillars look as though they’ve been there for years. Add a whimsical rug and side table to create a truly magical spot.
9. @emily_katz: This homespun setup from Emily Katz can easily be recreated by pulling items from your own home. Lay a brightly colored rug on the lawn and pull different seating options around your main table. String white lights through the trees for a perfect summer party atmosphere.
10. @TuulaVintage: Jessica Stein shares pics from all over the world, and she recently captured this beautiful outdoor space in Bali. To recreate it in your backyard, pair hand-carved furniture with comfy pillows and cushions.
11. @apartmenttherapy: You don’t need a huge outdoor space to make a statement. Paint wooden flower boxes a bright yellow or pink and pair with natural wood tones and lush plants for a space that will definitely wake you up in the morning.
12. @huntersalley: Do you embrace more of a boho style? Create a look similar to the one we found on Hunters Alley with bold, unique throws and patterned textiles. Candles and a hammock are the perfect finishing touches for a laid-back space.
13. @dominomag: Don’t be pattern shy when decorating your backyard. Domino shows that animal prints can work in any urban patio or suburban backyard space, especially when paired with a gorgeous, bold color like the cobalt blue in the photo above.
14. @lonnymag: What is it about fire pits that call for the occasional (okay, weekly) s’more? Create a similar corner in your backyard by pairing comfy Adirondack chairs and monogrammed blanket with pillows in your favorite eye-popping shade.
Which Insta-famous account inspires your home design? Share in the comments below!
Getting the word out about your brand takes time, drive, and ingenuity. And it doesn't come easy for many entrepreneurs. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're chatting with Selfmade alum Taylor Morgan McPherson, founder of Sustainable Sparkle Bar, about ways in which she scored press as a solo startup brand and what she learned from Selfmade to take her brand marketing up a notch.
B + C: How did you know Sustainable Sparkle Bar was your business to start?
Glitter has always been my thing, so when I started my event company I decided to make it my niche. I started telling people I threw glitter-themed parties where people would get sparkled with glitter body art and makeup. Six months after that I applied to my first festival and to work with SUR restaurant in West Hollywood.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
I honestly can't say that I've had a specific strategy that I've followed when it comes to getting my business off the ground. I have a PR background so I was just constantly pitching new business and posting on social media.
B + C: What's the biggest challenge you face as a small business owner?
I would say creating a stable income and revenue stream. With a seasonal, event-based business it can be very up and down.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
The relationships I made and the push to start an email database.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I love what I do and I believe in myself 100%. Staying motivated isn't the hard part. Pushing myself to do the work and staying accountable is the hard part.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip? Do you use any apps that help you manage your business?
I keep multiple to-do lists, hand-written and digital. I also tell clients and partners that I will have something to them by a certain time or day so I have to stick to it.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Just do it, take the leap. And don't worry about what anyone else says to thinks.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Issa Rae, I'm so inspired by everything that she's created being a creative and a black woman. It's my dream to have my own show one day based on my life and where I give advice and talk about the world. She's doing it and making people laugh and giving people joy. And it's based in LA. Watching Insecure only further cemented my dreams of wanting to live in LA.
B + C: How did you hear about the Office Depot scholarship?
One of my friends that I met through Camp No Counselors saw an IG ad for it and nominated me.
B + C: What has receiving the scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start/grow your business?
It's completely helped me level up and take my business to another level. Selfmade helped me host my first virtual event and taught me how to set up my website to sell tickets to events and get RSVPs.
B + C: How have Office Depot services or products helped you accomplish more in your business?
I got new cards to send in all of my orders with my discount code on them. I also bought a really cool 4K camera that I now use for my social media.
Let Office Depot OfficeMax help you stand out in the crowd. From signs, posters & banners to promote your business, to marketing materials to keep your customers informed, Office Depot OfficeMax offers a full suite of business services & solutions to help you & your business get noticed.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.