Follow These Instagram Accounts for Backyard Party Inspo
We’re over here happily breaking out the pastels and stuffing our parkas into the depths of our closets. With weekends shining brighter and warmer, it’s time to tackle your outdoor space. Whether you have a dilapidated deck or an overgrown lawn, a few easy decor changes can take your backyard from scary to party-worthy. We’re sharing our favorite outdoor party spaces as inspo for the ultimate backyard redesign.
1. @ohjoy: Super-blogger Joy Cho is the queen of bright design, especially when it comes to party decor. DIY this outdoor setup by using specialty paint to add fun patterns to a set of ghost chairs. Add a crisp white table and bright stems to complete the look.
2. @joannagaines: It’s no surprise that Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper are everyone’s favorite HGTV couple. Joanna has a rustic-chic aesthetic that is spot on for their Waco, Texas hometown. Copy their look with white paint and linens paired with a burlap runner and wood accents for a comfortable, refined look. Need a dash of glamour? Go for a sparkly chandelier.
3. @homepolish: Not all backyards have to be overflowing with color. The bold blues add a pop of color, while the wood accents give the space a natural touch. Add a gilded mirror to your outdoor wall to add some drama.
4. @brightbazaar: If you’re obsessed with Mad Men, then this retro-inspired design was made for you. Find a vintage outdoor table set at a nearby flea market and spray paint it a glossy white to clean up the design. Add colorful seat cushions and paper lanterns for a backyard that demands attention.
5. @designlovefest: We’re in love with this beautiful outdoor space, captured by Bri Emery of DesignLoveFest. To recreate this look in your backyard, stain your porch or pergola a deep natural shade and drape white fabric for a breezy atmosphere.
6. @juliahengel: Julia of Gal Meets Glam travels all over the world and shares her finds with her followers. Recreate this adorable outdoor breakfast nook with a white wrought-iron table set. If you’re doing a major renovation, consider using terracotta tiles, which add a rustic, old-world feel to any patio. Coffee al fresco, anyone?
7. @glitterguide: Twinkling lights make any backyard seem magical, while this bar cart filled with libations and different plants seems like it sprouted directly from the ground. Add a unique runner to ground the space, and welcome all the pups.
8. @homebeautiful: We would LOVE to find this hidden quaint corner from Home Beautiful in our backyard. The wooden swing is an easy DIY and the pillars look as though they’ve been there for years. Add a whimsical rug and side table to create a truly magical spot.
9. @emily_katz: This homespun setup from Emily Katz can easily be recreated by pulling items from your own home. Lay a brightly colored rug on the lawn and pull different seating options around your main table. String white lights through the trees for a perfect summer party atmosphere.
10. @TuulaVintage: Jessica Stein shares pics from all over the world, and she recently captured this beautiful outdoor space in Bali. To recreate it in your backyard, pair hand-carved furniture with comfy pillows and cushions.
11. @apartmenttherapy: You don’t need a huge outdoor space to make a statement. Paint wooden flower boxes a bright yellow or pink and pair with natural wood tones and lush plants for a space that will definitely wake you up in the morning.
12. @huntersalley: Do you embrace more of a boho style? Create a look similar to the one we found on Hunters Alley with bold, unique throws and patterned textiles. Candles and a hammock are the perfect finishing touches for a laid-back space.
13. @dominomag: Don’t be pattern shy when decorating your backyard. Domino shows that animal prints can work in any urban patio or suburban backyard space, especially when paired with a gorgeous, bold color like the cobalt blue in the photo above.
14. @lonnymag: What is it about fire pits that call for the occasional (okay, weekly) s’more? Create a similar corner in your backyard by pairing comfy Adirondack chairs and monogrammed blanket with pillows in your favorite eye-popping shade.
Which Insta-famous account inspires your home design? Share in the comments below!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.