Microwave Your Way to a Luscious Keto-Friendly Strawberry Shortcake
You don’t always see the words “keto” and “dessert” next to each other (probably because you can’t have sugar on the ketogenic diet). That’s why we were so excited when we received this simple, quick recipe for a mug (AKA microwaveable) cake from Maple Hill.
The low-carb and free-of-sugar recipe had potential, so we had to try it ourselves. After one bite, we’re obsessed. The cake comes out incredibly (trigger warning) moist, spongey, and fluffy. And the juicy strawberries and fresh, creamy yogurt are enough to send us over the edge. The best part is that it’s ready in less than five minutes.
Keto strawberry short-mug-cake
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Recipe Notes: We think this recipe would taste amazing paired with a dollop of homemade, freshly whipped cream. The basic cake is versatile too. You can top it with nut butter for a little snack or add some peanut butter and bacon for a keto Elvis sandwich (sorry, no bananas). You also can reduce the milk to 1 1/2 tablespoons and swap out the vanilla extract for chili powder to form a sandwich of sorts. Cut it in half and load it with sausage, egg, and cheese for a breakfast sandwich.
1. Whisk all the ingredients (except for the coconut oil spray) in a small bowl, then set aside.
2. Spray your mug with coconut oil spray, then pour your mixture into the mug.
3. Microwave your mug for 90 seconds.
4. Pop out your cake, and slice it in half.
5. Spread one tablespoon of yogurt on one half, and top with strawberry slices. Sandwich the two halves together and top with more yogurt and strawberry slices. Enjoy!
Looking for more keto recipes? Check out our DIY recipes!
(Photos Gabi Conti / Brit + Co; recipe via Maple Hill Creamery)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.