10 New Kickstarter Projects You Need to Check Out
We kicked off the month of April with all sorts of tomfoolery (or should we say, Ryanfoolery?), swooned over grilled cheese month, and now it’s time to pay a visit to our old friend, Kickstarter! Here’s the latest and greatest from our go-to source for beautiful, creative, and inventive new projects.
1. Vamp: Got lots of speakers that are quickly being rendered useless in favor of wireless Bluetooth-powered boom boxes? Us too! The Vamp aims to solve that problem by acting as a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into any standard audio jack. $53 will get you your own Vamp for summer 2013.
2. Houses for Objects: Need a pretty house for your desktop essentials? Designed for sunglasses, headphones, keys, phones, watches, and more, these lovely wooden objects are a perfect way to get organized. A set of 3 will set you back $38.
3. Scratch Artist-Designed Nail Wraps: You know nail art is reaching a whole new demographic when it shows up on Kickstarter! This company is all about artist-designed nail wraps that come in unique collections. They also hope to make it easy for any artist to create their own collection of nail art.
4. Fuel: Also known as the world’s smallest device charger, the way-smaller-than-pocket-size fuel comes with a standard Mini USB port that works for most smartphones, tablets, and more. iPhone users are out of luck on this one… for now.
5. Statement Bicycle Rack: Wait a minute. Is that a bike rack that doesn’t look like a weird piece of industrial tubing? It is! It’s gorgeous, American-made, and a great example of art meeting function right smack dab in the middle. At $190 it’s definitely more of an investment as far as bike racks go, but it doubles as a work of art.
6. Nice Laundry Socks: We have to assume that somewhere there are studies that show that colorful socks make you happier. We love all the different colors and patterns Nice Laundry is peddling. Pledge $39 and score yourself 6 pairs of ridiculously colorful socks.
7. OpenFrame: So, you just decided to take down the taped up posters and invest in a few art prints and frames to go with them? But now you realize that framing can be way more expensive than the artwork, and often has to be customized for each piece. What if there was a beautiful frame solution that is like a hybrid of sticky track and a real solid frame? The OpenFrame is just that, and starts at $35. Each frame is equipped with magnets so you can use each frame for any size of artwork, or multiple pieces. So fun!
9. Yogomat: Tired of lugging around a giant bag for your yoga mat or using one of the dreaded loaners at your gym? The Yogomat hopes to change that by serving up a yoga mat that is light, eco-friendly, and folds down to the size of a rolled up newspaper. From a health standpoint, we love that the surface you stand on never touches the surface that’s on the floor, meaning way less germs. A $40 pledge will you get you your very own Yogomat as soon as May 2013.
10. Grip Clip: Last we’ve got a totally oddball project. The Grip Clip is a pencil caddy… for your glasses. It seems super random but could actually come in handy for artists, architects, and people who need their pencil or pen at the ready at any given moment.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)