It’s easy to pop on a sequin-covered anything to stand out from the crowd. For us, that’s especially true around the holidays, and for celebs, it’s a red carpet golden rule. But when Lupita Nyong’o walks the carpet, she doesn’t just follow a trend blindly, no matter how foolproof it is. And so the Oscar-winning actress’s take on winter sequins at the Glamour Women of the Year Awards was delightfully unexpected. Lupita’s sparkle traced just under the high neck of her white Chanel couture dress, down the center of the bodice and curved around and to the back of her hips in the shape of a body chain. Sure, it may sound weird, but the piece itself — an embellishment here and an accessory otherwise — is the newest way to glam up your neckline (and what’s below).
We’ve seen this slinky shape before with hand chains, a ring-bracelet hybrid that’s more attention grabbing than any arm party, no matter what way it’s stacked. So think of the body harness the same way: a kind of lariat that connects at the waist, adding an edgier glitz to your getup than ever before. Whether you’re scheming up the 100th way to style your white button-down or want something extra special to toss on over that LBD this holiday, a body chain *could* be just what you’re looking for — try these five on for size this season.
1. Daily Look Delicate Body Chain ($28): Unlike Lupita’s embellished bodice, most body chains available now are ultra delicate, adding just a faint glimmer to whatever top you’re wearing. Ease into the trend with this piece that crosses right in the center through a simple jump ring.
2. ASOS Fine Multi-chain Body Harness ($21): Behold: the lazy girl way to layer your necklaces. With the chain draped in line, the necklace becomes a glitzy pattern against plain blouses.
3. Vanessa Mooney Velorum Body Chain ($130): Even if you’re shooting for head-to-toe minimalist style this holiday — including natural makeup (no red lip!) and a frill-free dress — you can still make your outfit party-ready in a flash with a body chain as stunning as this multi-strand piece.
4. CCB Accented Body Chain ($9): Just because you’re tossing on a t-shirt and jeans doesn’t mean a body chain is off limits. Opt for one with less shine like this gold beaded piece, and pair it with other casual chic accessories like midi rings and ankle boots.
5. Freedom at Topshop Colored Jewel Stone Pendant ($28): This is the body chain to try for girls who swear by statement necklaces. Like in any case, the colored jewels will catch eyes first, then get ready for the major wows once the criss crossing chain is spotted.
Has Lupita convinced you to try out this trend? How would you style a body chain? Tell us in the comments below.
(Image via Vogue MX)