12 Microgreen Recipes Packed With Macro Flavor
Sure, mini desserts may be hard to turn up, but the appeal of twee eats doesn’t end with sweets. Nope, this roundup of 12 gorgeous recipes showcases the appeal of surprisingly flavor-packed microgreens. Not to be confused with sprouts, these tiny leaves simply come about from a super young harvest of a wide variety of veggies and herbs. Whether you grow your own in a shallow layer of soil or specially designed microgarden, or pick up a pack of ’em at your local grocery store, it couldn’t be easier to start cooking with these tasty, nutrient-dense greens!
3. Roasted Root Vegetable Fajitas (Vegan, Gluten-Free): Take a lesson from these fall fajitas. Skip the slaw or shredded lettuce and top your next batch of tacos with microgreens instead. (via With Food and Love)
4. Parmesan and Ricotta Cheese Pizza: Starting with a honey and whole wheat crust, each bite of this delicious pizza packs a ton of flavor. A sprinkle of peppery microgreens is the finishing touch, and means you can leave the shaker of red pepper flakes back in the spice cabinet. (via What We Love Most)
5. Pea Cakes With Country Sausage and Greek Yogurt Tzatziki: A duo of peas is featured in this tempting recipe. First, shelled peas are smooshed into flavorful fritters, and then a sprinkle of their green shoots serves as a gorgeous garnish on top. (via Tartine and Apron Strings)
6. Charred Rainbow Beet and Pistachio Salad: Any microgreen you prefer will work well here, but we’d be tempted to go with something super colorful — like Swiss chard with its magenta stems and verdant leaves — to complement the rainbow-hued beets. (via Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes)
7. Roast Beef Tea Sandwiches (Gluten-Free): Peppery arugula microgreens hold their own against spicy whole grain Dijonnaise and spice-rubbed roast beef. Don’t feel like making your own bread? Go ahead and swap the homemade stuff out with slices of your favorite store-bought loaf, and these bite-size apps will be ready in practically no time at all. (via A Sage Amalgam)
8. Chickpea Blinis: Kale microgreens and pomegranate seeds provide a pop of gorgeous color atop these unique blini that sub the usual buckwheat for chickpea flour. They’re kind of like mini socca! (via Como Come Cami)
10. Pea Shoots, Microgreens, Asparagus and Pesto Pizza: Between the edible flowers, microgreens, asparagus and generous slick of pesto, this cauliflower crust pizza has a ton of good stuff going for it. (via Autumn to Summer)
11. Egg White Omelette With Avocado, Goat Cheese and Microgreens: The trifecta of avocado, goat cheese and microgreens makes this egg white omelet into something special. It’s anything but blah. (via The Merry Thought)
12. Crispy Hash Browns, Eggs and a Side of Bacon: Whip up these personal-size casseroles for your next weekend brunch. The recipe is easily scaled to feed anywhere from a few folks to a hungry crowd of friends and family. (via Cooking on the Weekends)
Have you ever eaten or grown microgreens? Let’s talk all about twee eats in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)