12 Microgreen Recipes Packed With Macro Flavor
Sure, mini desserts may be hard to turn up, but the appeal of twee eats doesn’t end with sweets. Nope, this roundup of 12 gorgeous recipes showcases the appeal of surprisingly flavor-packed microgreens. Not to be confused with sprouts, these tiny leaves simply come about from a super young harvest of a wide variety of veggies and herbs. Whether you grow your own in a shallow layer of soil or specially designed microgarden, or pick up a pack of ’em at your local grocery store, it couldn’t be easier to start cooking with these tasty, nutrient-dense greens!
3. Roasted Root Vegetable Fajitas (Vegan, Gluten-Free): Take a lesson from these fall fajitas. Skip the slaw or shredded lettuce and top your next batch of tacos with microgreens instead. (via With Food and Love)
4. Parmesan and Ricotta Cheese Pizza: Starting with a honey and whole wheat crust, each bite of this delicious pizza packs a ton of flavor. A sprinkle of peppery microgreens is the finishing touch, and means you can leave the shaker of red pepper flakes back in the spice cabinet. (via What We Love Most)
5. Pea Cakes With Country Sausage and Greek Yogurt Tzatziki: A duo of peas is featured in this tempting recipe. First, shelled peas are smooshed into flavorful fritters, and then a sprinkle of their green shoots serves as a gorgeous garnish on top. (via Tartine and Apron Strings)
6. Charred Rainbow Beet and Pistachio Salad: Any microgreen you prefer will work well here, but we’d be tempted to go with something super colorful — like Swiss chard with its magenta stems and verdant leaves — to complement the rainbow-hued beets. (via Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes)
7. Roast Beef Tea Sandwiches (Gluten-Free): Peppery arugula microgreens hold their own against spicy whole grain Dijonnaise and spice-rubbed roast beef. Don’t feel like making your own bread? Go ahead and swap the homemade stuff out with slices of your favorite store-bought loaf, and these bite-size apps will be ready in practically no time at all. (via A Sage Amalgam)
8. Chickpea Blinis: Kale microgreens and pomegranate seeds provide a pop of gorgeous color atop these unique blini that sub the usual buckwheat for chickpea flour. They’re kind of like mini socca! (via Como Come Cami)
10. Pea Shoots, Microgreens, Asparagus and Pesto Pizza: Between the edible flowers, microgreens, asparagus and generous slick of pesto, this cauliflower crust pizza has a ton of good stuff going for it. (via Autumn to Summer)
11. Egg White Omelette With Avocado, Goat Cheese and Microgreens: The trifecta of avocado, goat cheese and microgreens makes this egg white omelet into something special. It’s anything but blah. (via The Merry Thought)
12. Crispy Hash Browns, Eggs and a Side of Bacon: Whip up these personal-size casseroles for your next weekend brunch. The recipe is easily scaled to feed anywhere from a few folks to a hungry crowd of friends and family. (via Cooking on the Weekends)
Have you ever eaten or grown microgreens? Let’s talk all about twee eats in the comments!