If you’re in the late stages of pregnancy, you know that nesting is totally natural in the weeks leading up to birth. You meticulously check and re-check the nursery to make sure everything is perfect, you have your hospital bag packed to the brim and you’ve even pinned a few lactation cookie recipes to get your milk flowing. Cookies not your thing? The good news is there are plenty of power meals for pregnancy , from hearty, healthy smoothies to granola bars and muffins that will be a godsend once that bundle of joy arrives. Fill your Pinterest boards with these 12 new-mom noms so you can have a freezer full of goodies that benefit you AND baby.
1. Banana Chocolate Chip Lactation Muffins : If you want to get your lactation enhancement on in the morning, a batch of these banana muffins will do the trick. They’re moist, chocolatey and perfect for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack. (via Yea Yea Pueblo )
2. Lactation Granola Bars : Granola bars are the best grab-and-go morsel you can make at home. Individually wrap each serving and stash them in your diaper bag for emergencies. These will last for more than a week in the fridge — that is, if you don’t eat them all first. (via The Cocina Monologues )
3. Milk Boosting Lactation Smoothie : When you’re a brand new mom, you barely have time to brush your teeth, let alone make a full breakfast. Smoothies are a healthy way to get your daily vitamins as well as boosting your milk supply in a flash. (via Diary of a First Time Mom )
4. Vegan Lactation Cookies (Gluten-Free) : The best gift you can give a new mom is a warm batch of cookies. Bonus points if they’re lactation cookies and they’re vegan and gluten-free. Print out a recipe card to go along with the cookies, so she can make them for herself or pass them on to another new mom down the road. (via Detoxinista )
5. Fenugreek Lactation Bites : Fenugreek is a plant widely known to have lactation-enhancing properties. It’s typically found in teas, but here it’s mixed with oats, cocoa and coconut to create a totally poppable, energizing bite. (via Handmade in the Heartland )
6. Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Lactation Cookie s: Oatmeal cookies are a classic for obvious reasons, but oatmeal is also a major player in the lactation department. Paired with brewer’s yeast and flaxseed, oatmeal completes the golden trio of lactation baking. (via I Am Baker )
7. Strawberry Banana Lactation Smoothie : There are many ingredients that can help boost milk production, but it can be difficult to get ahold of some of the more specialty items. This basic smoothie uses readily available ingredients, like chia seeds, so you can naturally work it into your daily routine. (via Lauren McBride )
8. Protein Lactation Bites : Eating post-baby can be nerve racking. Not only are you eating for your new bundle of joy, but you may be trying to *start* getting your pre-baby body back too. These protein bites help with breastfeeding AND provide on-the-go protein when you need it most. (via Mommy. Foodie. Athlete )
9. Magic Milk Bars : These bars are 100% whole grain and full of protein, fiber and heart-healthy fats. In addition to that, their milk-boosting properties are out of this world. They are called magic milk bars for a reason. (via Cooking Light )
10. Carrot Ginger Juice : Juicing is an all-natural way to add a ton of vital vitamins and minerals to your and your infant’s diet. This carrot-ginger combo is great for your tummy, and with regular consumption can aid in milk production. (via Sweet Stella’s )
11. Moringa Lactation Bites : As hard as it is to find quality lactation recipes, it’s even harder to find lactation recipes that are paleo or grain-free. These bites utilize the moringa leaf, dates and nuts to create a protein-packed snack that anyone can enjoy. (via Everyday Maven )
12. Oatmeal and Banana Lactation Smoothie : No time to make a bowl of steamy oatmeal with a sliced banana? Blend up this quick smoothie for a chilly and sippable version of your usual breakfast. Just make sure you’re adding plenty of honey to balance out the flavor of brewer’s yeast. (via Fab Haute Mama )
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.