Morning Buzz! Bruno Mars Is Bragging About His Hits + More!
Bruno Mars thinks he’s just the best, and Hillary Clinton is taking a page from The Handmaid’s Tale in today’s top stories. Check these out and more below!
1. Bruno Mars’ “That’s What I Like” hits number one and he’s letting everyone know why. As of Monday, Bruno Mars’ That’s What I Like” is number one on so many charts that he had to take to Instagram to let people know that he’s the “#1 Stunna” and “The F*cking Best!” With a caption that reads, “If no one’s gonna say it, then I’m gonna say it!” We’re listening, Bruno.
2. Hillary Clinton is borrowing a popular phrase from the book The Handmaid’s Tale. If you’ve read the now-trending Margaret Atwood book that the Hulu show is based on, you’ll know that the Latin phrase “Nolite te bastardes carborundorum” plays a major part of the main character’s story. Its translation is “Don’t let the bastards grind you down,” and for her keynote speech at Planned Parenthood’s 100th anniversary on Tuesday night, Clinton paraphrased the book and author by saying, “To paraphrase Margaret Atwood, ‘We can never let them grind us down.” (Photo via Andrew Toth/Getty)
3. Alexis Ohanian’s HONY tribute to Serena Williams is #relationshipgoals. Everyone’s favorite Humans of New York photographer was allowed into the Met Gala Monday night to capture guests, and his snap of parents-to-be Alexis Ohanian and Serena Williams is pure love. In the post, Ohanian says, “Everyone sees her success as an athlete, but all of that is layered on the size of her heart. She gives 100% of herself to everything she does: as a friend, as a lover, and soon, as a mother.”
— • (@prizxillas) April 30, 2017
4. This student took her Harvard acceptance letter to prom when she didn’t have a date. It’s not all promposals for every graduating student, and after 17-year-old Priscilla Samey wasn’t asked, she decided along with her sister to take her Harvard admissions as her date. That’s one easy way to manage prom night.
View this post on Instagram
Fyodor Pavlov-Andreevich has been arrested and put in prison after performing the 5th episode of his Foundling series at Met Gala in New York last night. He is now under criminal lawsuit. Thanks to all the people who are yet not to be named - dear friends and family- who are being of support through the performance and the further events #metgala #foundling @metgala2017 #fyodorpavlovandreevich #performance #performanceart
A post shared by Fyodor Pavlov-Andreevich (@fyodorpavlovandreevich) on
5. There was an arrest at the Met Gala that no one saw. According to E! Online, Fyodor Pavlov-Andreevich was arrested during the arrivals at the Met for trying to make it through the crowd of celebrities completely naked, dragging across the carpet in a box. He uploaded the video to Vimeo, but when he refused to step out of the box, firefighters broke it open and he was arrested.
6. Quote of the day: “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.” Khalil Gibran
Who was your prom date? Tell us @BritandCo!
(Photo via Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)