17 Pot Pie Recipes to Protect You from the Cold
If there was ever a hibernation food for humans, it would surely be pot pie. Warm, creamy and starchy, these little pockets of pie goodness will give you the sustenance you need to get through the holiday season. Whip up one of these delicious comfort food recipes the next time you’re in need of some comfort food, Netflix and relaxation.
1. Tater Tot Chicken Pot Hot Dish: Hot dish is a Midwestern staple, composed of a creamy base, a vegetable and a starch topping. In concept, it’s extremely similar to pot pie. That’s why crispy tater tots work as a brilliant replacement for pie crust in this chicken pot pie. (via My Name Is Yeh)
2. 1-Hour Vegan Pot Pies: If you’re looking for comfort food that is healthy and quick to prepare, look no further than these vegan pot pies. The filling comes together on the stove in about 20 minutes. Top with vegan biscuits and you’ll be sitting down to dinner in no time. (via Minimalist Baker)
4. Guinness Beef Pot Pie: This pot pie is filled with an ultra-comforting version of beef stew. The flavor here is bolstered by Guinness beer, which the mushrooms do a good job of soaking up. (via NeighborFood)
6. Beef Bourguignon Pot Pie: This French-inspired pot pie is a true luxury. The beef stew filling is simmered on the stove for hours with Cabernet Sauvignon until it’s melt-in-your-mouth tender. It’s also in your best interest to pair with a glass of red when you’re ready to eat. (via Dang That’s Delicious)
7. Butternut Squash Pot Pie: This vegetarian pot pie is chock-full of fiber, potassium and vitamins, thanks to the butternut squash. You can make the pie crust with coconut oil for an even more delicious and vegan option. (via Our Four Forks)
8. Black Eyed Pea Sweet Potato Cornbread Pot Pie: Give your pot pie a Southern twist with the addition of black eyed peas, potatoes and a cornbread crust. Each sweet and spicy bite will leave you wanting more. (via Vanilla and Bean)
10. Pizza Pot Pie: If there’s anything that can take your pot pie to the next level, it’s pizza. This might be the only time it makes sense to eat pizza with a fork. Oh yeah, we went there. (via Oh, Bite It!)
11. Easy Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili and Cheddar Polenta Pot Pies: There’s not much about this pot pie that’s pot-pie-like, except it *is* in a pot and the filling is rich and creamy. One bite of this, and you won’t miss the classic at all. (via Half Baked Harvest)
12. Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie: The charm of this chicken pot pie is that it can stand on its own without a dish. This pie means business. The all-encompassing crust ensures that you have the perfect filling-to-crust ratio for each bite. (via Food52)
13. Vietnamese Beef Pot Pies: Fresh spices like star anise, cinnamon and Chinese five spice powder give these pot pies a unique Southeast Asian flavor. It’s bound to be your new favorite dinner. (via Supergolden Bakes)
14. Beef Cheek and Stout Pie With Stilton Pastry: Beef cheeks slow cooked in stout and pie crust melded with pungent Stilton cheese make this pot pie the ultimate indulgence. Go ahead, treat yourself. (via Saveur)
15. Pancetta, White Bean and Chard Pot Pies: Pot pie is such a versatile dish — you can essentially fill it with whatever you want. Deb of Smitten Kitchen chooses to fill hers with earthy chard, creamy white beans and salty, smokey pancetta. (via Smitten Kitchen)
16. Butternut Squash and Beefy Mushroom Pot Pies With Flakey Taleggio Crust: This not-so-traditional pot pie is simple but still impressive. The key is to stew the butternut squash, beef and mushroom filling slowly on low heat until tender. (via Half Baked Harvest)
17. Quick and Easy Thai Chicken Pot Pie: This pot pie is served deconstructed for the busiest of weeknights. Literally spice up your filling with fresh ginger, garlic and curry paste. In place of crust, serve with biscuits. (via Shared Appetite)
Are you ready to spoon into one of these pies? Follow us on Pinterest for more comfort food recipes.
If you lack a certain way with words, then perhaps you can rely on showing how you feel this holiday season with an artful greeting card you can make at home! Brit dropped by our crafting studio where we teamed with Camp by Walmart to create a choose-your-own-adventure holiday card tutorial. In the interactive video, it's up to you to decide what type of card you want to make — sentimental, or stylish? Three-dimensional, or keep it simple? After you've selected your design vibe, Brit helps you assemble it all together so your last-min card is ready to send. Get ready to pick up a few new DIY tricks when you watch the video now!