Fueled by romantic New Year’s resolutions, many of us are feeling extra optimistic about the search for our next great relationship… for the first two months, at least. What happens, though, when Dating Sunday is behind you and you’re not feeling any closer to finding the perfect S.O.? It can be so difficult to stick to those pesky resolutions after February, but luckily for us, the pros at dating site Match.com have our back, and they’ve compiled a list of five relationship resolutions that are totally doable for the rest of the year.
These manageable resolutions were first posted on Match’s official blog, and whether your search for love is focused on- or offline, we’re pretty confident that you’ll be able to keep them. Scroll down for all of the details. These suggestions will help you on the road to romantic success, and (hopefully) increase your chances of sticking to your resolutions in 2017.
1. Stay open-minded. Do you have a history of always going for a specific type? If you’re still in search of an S.O., we hate to break the news, but it seems that your type is not working for you. Consider dating people with different looks, interests, or life experiences than your previous baes. Maybe you’ll find out that your real type is totally different than what you’ve always thought!
2. Give (almost) every first date a chance at a second date. Starting this year, the experts at Match think that you should resist the urge to put an end to every would-be relationship simply because you had a less-than-fabulous first date. Contrary to common wisdom, first impressions aren’t everything, and unless your date was rude, unforgivably late or an obvious friend-zone candidate, you might want to consider giving them a second chance before writing them off forever. What if you miss out on “the one” simply because you make a quick judgment after a so-so first meeting?
3. Don’t jump in too quickly. While the experts at Match don’t want you to call it quits on a potential relationship too quickly, they also discourage you from getting carried away with a new flame too fast. Finding the perfect pace is everything. If you’re starting to fall head over heels, we’re super psyched for you — but make sure you’re asking good questions, getting to know each other and setting reasonable expectations for the future. We’d hate to see you get your heart broken because your newly minted BF or GF just won’t commit.
4. Don’t stress over fruitless connections. We know how important it is to you to find love, but not every conversation or date is going to lead to your fairy tale. If it did, you’d miss out on a lot of the fun! As the year continues, we hope that you’ll be kind to yourself when it comes to dating. Try putting less pressure on yourself. Just because your connection with a crush turns out to be disappointing, all hope is not lost! Stay open to the process, and use every unsatisfying date as an opportunity to learn more about yourself and what you’re really looking for in a partner.
5. Have fun! Dating can be stressful and frustrating, but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be fun! While you navigate your search for love this year, the experts at Match urge you to enjoy the process of meeting new people and trying new things. As soon as dating feels like a chore, consider taking a short break until you’re ready to jump back in with a better attitude. Finding a relationship is all about improving your life, so if the stress is outweighing the fun, it’s okay to take a step back from the dating scene for a bit.
What other love-related resolutions do you have for the year? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)