11 Playful Romper + Sandal Pairings for Summer
As far as lazy girl summer style essentials go, it doesn’t get much more foolproof than a laid-back romper you’ll reach for time and time again. Think about it: You can dress it up with espadrilles for date night, toss it on with casual flip-flops for the beach or team it with dramatic gladiators come festival season. It’s that versatile. Simply swap out your sandals (and maybe swipe on a bold red lip) for a lineup of fuss-free #OOTDs that can be styled on the fly. Scroll down for inspo and tips on how to style a romper (AKA your new hero piece in disguise) this summer with zero effort.
1. Zara Denim Jumpsuit With Straps ($40) + Havaianas Luna Liberty Flip Flops ($44): What balmy temps? Beat the heat with this twill denim playsuit featuring an open criss-cross back and airy cutouts. For maximum comfort (and a youthful spin), we recommend these ultra-cushiony flip-flops in a throwback Liberty London floral print. Beach days cannot come soon enough!
2. Mara Hoffman Printed Crepe Playsuit ($253) + Kate Spade Idreena Sandals ($98): Usher in a summer state of mind with this easy-breezy printed rainbow romper that’s equal parts playful and practical. Not only will it double as a cover-up when you’re soaking up rays in Maui, but it’s a shoo-in for backyard barbecues and late-night strolls along the boardwalk. Opt for these two-tone pink and beige slides for an extra girly touch.
3. Topshop Leaf Print Playsuit ($68) + Zara Platform Wedges ($90): Channel a tropical paradise of your own with this punchy leaf print romper that’s worthy of an exotic getaway (or two). Complement the effortless silhouette with these Sporty Spice-esque silver platforms that demand attention, whether you’re heading out for drinks or strutting your stuff on the dance floor. For casual work environments and networking functions, just toss on a white blazer and a classy pair of hoops.
4. Free People Santorini Lounge Romper ($88) + Madewell Chamula Chicen Open-Toe Huarache Sandals ($78): A romper made for lounging and catching Zzzzs? We’re so down. Between napping on the hammock, picnicking in the park and getting your beach on, this off-the-shoulder embroidered romper (with tassels, no less!) has got you covered. Toss on a pair of these woven huarache sandals for the ultimate casual-Friday getup.
5. Dorothy Perkins Quiz Print Cross Over Playsuit ($39) + M.Gemi The Nautico Sandals ($178): Fake it ‘til you make it in this after hours-approved romper with a flirty v-neck and exaggerated boho sleeves. Not just restricted to outdoor concerts, this one-and-done summer staple can work for Sunday brunch and rooftop cocktails when teamed with a floppy straw hat or chandelier earrings. Trade in your going-out platforms for these nautical-inspired lace-up sandals that will take you from AM to PM, no costume change necessary.
6. Mango Lace Cotton Jumpsuit ($50) + H&M High Leather Sandals ($60): Show off some serious leg with this sultry olive-colored romper that demands attention on festival grounds (and beyond). In true Man Repeller fashion, don’t be afraid to take it there with fierce gladiator sandals that mean business. Talk about major street-style bait.
7. Wilfred Free Mcavoy Romper ($135) + J.Crew Collection Leather High-Heel Sandals in Mixed Gingham ($278): Get ready to take Montauk by storm with this casual linen romper that’ll fit right in with your wardrobe of summery madras prints and colorful chinos. When you’re not sunbathing on the beach, elevate your look with a pair of these preppy gingham block-heel sandals that call to mind drinks on a fancy yacht.
8. Solid & Striped Chambray Stripe Romper ($268) + J.Crew Jules Tumbled Leather Sandals ($118): Your off-duty uniform for summer may or may not include this wear-everywhere striped chambray romper. With a utilitarian-meets-athleisure vibe, this daytime casual pairing is the definition of tomboy-chic. Skip the canvas sneaks (been there, done that) for these white leather sandals that are refreshingly simple and understated. Sign us up, please.
9. Zara Square Neckline Jumpsuit ($23) + Slydes Big Banana Slider ($35): Adopt an “all fun, no work” mentality this summer by investing in the vibrant green pinafore romper of your dreams. We’re not kidding when we say it could be spotted a mile away! Be it a backyard pool party or your usual weekend shenanigans, these silly banana slides are guaranteed to be a hit alongside a free-wheelin’ fanny pack.
10. Topshop Floral Cut-Out Playsuit ($68) + H&M Thong Sandals ($18): Sun’s out, rompers on! It’s not officially summer until you don a statement-making floral romper with your favorite mirrored sunnies and Panama hat. Did you check out those well-placed square cutouts?! We can’t even. Keep the outfit blahs away by throwing these no-nonsense goldenrod thong sandals into the mix for blister-free days.
11. LemLem Amara Embroidered Ruffled Cotton-Blend Jacquard Playsuit ($255): + Schutz Mella Wrap Wedge Sandals ($220): Ditch your predictable LWD for this ultra-feminine embroidered playsuit that will fit the bill for a number of summer affairs (think: outdoor weddings, bachelorette parties and swanky picnics). These anything-but-boring espadrilles — embellished with festive pom-poms, beads and tassels — will add a little extra somethin’ somethin’ to every outing.
What’s your favorite way to style rompers? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.