We have a love-hate relationship with running. We hate getting out of bed at 6 am and strapping on our shoes, but we love the afterglow of that runner’s high. Whether you’re training for a marathon or easing into jogging, running is one of the best ways to stay healthy and active. Ready to get set and go? Here are 11 apps to help you hit the ground running.
1. Runtastic: Running can get boring if you’re always going the same route. How about a little adventure? This app allows users to go on a “story run,” a narrated story that follows your pace and gives you a little audio inspiration to keep that body moving. (Free on iOS and Android)
2. Strava Running: Love some friendly competition? Not only is Strava great for tracking your running stats, it also lets you keep up with your friends’ runs and see who’s dominating the leaderboard. (Free on iOS and Android)
3. RunKeeper: Keep track of that mileage like never before. From pre-planned routes and personalized goals to training plans, RunKeeper saves data from every run. Tracking your progress has never been easier. (Free on iOS and Android)
7. iSmoothRun: Running aficionados, this gem is for you. For those who love to run long distance, enjoy interval workouts and track their cadence, iSmoothRun figures out your beat and works to improve your runs, whatever type they might be. ($6 on iOS)
8. Endomondo Life: This app takes everything one step at a time, literally. Tailor the settings to create personal steps-per-day goals and to keep track of how many steps total you’ve taken. (Free on iOS)
9. 5k Runner: If you’re training for your first 5K, like the Color Run, then you’re in luck. This app will take you from 0 to 5K in just eight weeks. With an audio coach, running tips and best practices, you’ll enter that race fully prepared. ($3 on iOS)
10. Map My Run: No longer can we lie about that “mile” we ran after work on Monday. Friends can see real-time stats during your workout. This works for best for a group of friends since you’ll be holding each other accountable. (Free on iOS and Android)
Which running apps interest you? Let us know in the comments below!