If the thought of cabbage conjures up soggy coleslaw and icy salad bars, it’s time to give it another try. Crunchy and refreshing, cabbage makes a sturdy base for creamy dressings and hearty braises or a light garnish for a meat entree. It’s inexpensive and easy to find at any grocery store. Did we mention it’s also low-cal? Give one of these 12 recipes a spin and we promise you’ll be a cabbage convert in no time.
2. Spicy Sesame Pork Soup With Noodles: Keep this oh-so-savory recipe in your back pocket for when cooler weather hits and thank us later. The delicious and flavorful homemade pork stock gets a lighter lift from shredded cabbage. (via Food52)
3. Mushroom Burgers With Asian Slaw: There are many reasons why people use mushrooms as burger subsititutes: They’re hearty, satisfying and delicious. This one packs a punch with secret weapons like tahini, sesame oil and soy sauce. Throw some avocado on top and you’ll never look back. (via Sprouted Kitchen)
4. Braised Red Cabbage With Vinegar: This red cabbage is the perfect thing to accompany tender roasted meats and veggies. It gets sauced up with some yummy spices and chicken broth and is gently cooked until tender. The red color will add a gorgeous pop to your dinner table. (via Bon Appétit)
5. Summer Slaw: Coleslaw is a staple on every picnic and BBQ menu for a reason. It travels well, is easy to prepare and it’s the perfect accompaniment to saucy meats, starchy potatoes and fried foods. Plus, it’s all raw so there’s no need to crank up that stovetop on a hot summer day. Try a modern makeover with a light vinaigrette and colorful veggies like beets alongside your traditional cabbage. (via Six Course Dinner)
7. Shoyu Cabbage Soup: Looking for a version of ramen or soba to make at home? Say hello to this delicious bowl. No crazy ingredients or complicated steps here — just flavorful broth and a healthy dose of veggies. (via Bon Appétit)
8. Spicy Fish Tacos With Cabbage Slaw: Sure there are a lot of fish taco recipes out there, but this one checks off all the boxes. It’s fresh, budget-friendly and it all comes together in less than 15 minutes. The cabbage slaw and creamy avocado sauce are delicious additions to a spicy fish filling. (via Foodess)
9. Raw Cabbage and Mango Slaw: We love this tropical salad of cabbage and mango. Coconut milk, lime and ginger make up the dressing and sunflower seeds add an extra boost of protein. Now, just picture yourself on a tropical island with this in hand. (via GMOFree Girl)
10. Cabbage and White Bean Soup: Here, cabbage takes a dunk in flavorful tomato broth and is anchored with creamy white beans. It’s a hearty, Italian-style stew that also happens to be our new favorite cure-all for colds. (via Food52)
How are you serving up cabbage this summer? Let us know in the comments below.