It’s hard to believe that anyone would pass up a decadent fudge, a mouthwatering donut or even a guilt-free dessert. But in reality, not everyone has a sweet tooth. Crazy, we know. But for those of us that do, sometimes we satisfy it a little too hard and wind up with a sugar-induced hangover (happens to the best of us, right?). Well, no matter what the situation or preferred taste, we’ve got you covered with these 20 savory twists on traditional sweets.
1. Ham and Egg Crepe Squares: Skip that stack of pancakes drowning in maple syrup and opt for a crepe filled with ham and egg. Not only is it more savory, but there’s also more protein (and calcium if you add cheese!). (via Kitchen Comments)
2. Apple Chard Pancetta Cheddar Bread Pudding: Say that 10 times fast! Use that leftover or almost-too-old-to-eat bread to concoct a bread pudding that’s packed with flavor and won’t upset the dentist. (via Bird and Cleaver)
6. Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars: Fill your cookie void with an oatmeal bar that’s high in whole grains, fiber, dried fruit and spice. Here’s a tip: Heat them up before eating and enjoy with a schmear of cream cheese. (via Kath Eats)
7. Bacon Chocolate Bark: Super dark chocolate fits into our savory category when it’s sprinkled with bacon. Feel free to add a light dusting of salt, but just don’t forget a glass of water on the side. Or milk. (via Better Homes & Garden)
8. Parmesan Ice Cream With Prosciutto: This makes the ice cream sundae look like it’s having an identity crisis. And we wonder if it counts as both dinner and dessert… Yep. It does. (via Molecular Recipes)
10. Goat Cheese Tarts With Leeks and Apricot Preserves: Trade in that puff pastry for a treat that offers the perfect balance between savory goodness (goat cheese, leeks) and natural sweetness (apricot). (via Blue Kitchen)
12. Rosemary Olive Oil Cake: For your next birthday, opt for a baked treat that won’t leave you feeling (totally) guilty. A plus side to this rosemary olive oil cake? You can slice it and add a fried egg the next morning for breakfast. (via 101 Cookbooks)
15. Avocado and Tomato Sorbet: There is something so refreshing about a bowl of just-out-of-the-freezer sorbet. Plus, there’s that guilt-free element that’s harder to find with ice cream. Throw in the vegetables and we’re declaring this sorbet healthy. (via Epicurious)
18. Sparkling Cranberry Brie Bites: Tart cranberries + sugary sprinkles + rich brie + salty crackers = a dish that will satisfy both your sweet and savory cravings at once. Because for some of us, the sweet tooth just never shuts up. (via Yummy Mummy Kitchen)
19. Bacon Bourbon Pecan Pie: Traditional pecan pie is so sweet and indulgent, it’s hard to eat more than one bite. Offset the sickly sweetness with the saltiness of bacon and a little bite of bourbon. (via Fancy Food Fancy)
Have we brought out your savory tooth yet? What’s your favorite savory take on a traditional sweet? Talk to us below!