Kick Off Cozy Season With This Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Picture this: crisp, chilly air coming through open windows, a Halloween comfort movie playing in the other room and the savory smell of homemade soup simmering on your slow cooker, filling your space. This is the recipe for a perfect fall night! When we’re not trying new fall-time drink and dessert recipes, we’re craving a warm, hearty bowl of soup. Check out our take on a classic french onion soup, cooked for hours with lots of love for the best flavors you’ll have this season.
Ingredients for our Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 64 ounces beef bone broth
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pink salt, to taste
- French baguette, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
How to Make This Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Using a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add in the sliced onions and stir occasionally to cook evenly and let them become translucent. Reduce to medium heat and continue cooking the onions until they are a deep golden brown, about 30-40 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add in the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the dry white wine to scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pot and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the onion mixture into the slow cooker along with the beef broth, pepper, and salt. Cover with a lid and set on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.
- Prior to serving the soup, prepare the French baguette slices by heating the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush each slice with olive oil and toast for 3-4 minutes in the oven.
- For serving, you can add shredded cheese to each baguette slice and place 4-6 inches under the broiler in the oven, broiling for 2 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned, then add to each bowl of soup. Alternatively, ladle each serving of soup into a broiler safe bowl, top with a baguette and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Place the bowls onto a baking sheet, then place in the oven about 8 inches under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is bubbly, about 2 minutes.
Need more fall time comfort meal ideas like this one? Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly creative inspiration!
Recipe and photography by Sarah Anderson.
Creative Assistant, Meredith Holser, is B+C's resident food writer, photographer, and TikTok taker. Meredith writes about a range of topics for B+C, but she's adopted food writing in all its many facets for the last year. You can see her work published in Do214, Advocate Magazine, WFAA, and North Texas Daily. Meredith's passion for photography began after sneaking her mom's iPhone to take pictures of flowers on vacation, eventually evolving from a passion to a professional career. Outside of work, you can catch Meredith hiking, trying new recipes, and dreaming about having a yummy little treat.