Kick Off Cozy Season With This Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Picture this: crisp, chilly air coming through open windows, a Halloween comfort movie playing in the other room and the savory smell of homemade soup simmering on your slow cooker, filling your space. This is the recipe for a perfect fall night! When we’re not trying new fall-time drink and dessert recipes, we’re craving a warm, hearty bowl of soup. Check out our take on a classic french onion soup, cooked for hours with lots of love for the best flavors you’ll have this season.
Ingredients for our Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 64 ounces beef bone broth
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pink salt, to taste
- French baguette, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
How to Make This Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Using a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add in the sliced onions and stir occasionally to cook evenly and let them become translucent. Reduce to medium heat and continue cooking the onions until they are a deep golden brown, about 30-40 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add in the minced garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the dry white wine to scrape off the browned bits on the bottom of the pot and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the onion mixture into the slow cooker along with the beef broth, pepper, and salt. Cover with a lid and set on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.
- Prior to serving the soup, prepare the French baguette slices by heating the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush each slice with olive oil and toast for 3-4 minutes in the oven.
- For serving, you can add shredded cheese to each baguette slice and place 4-6 inches under the broiler in the oven, broiling for 2 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned, then add to each bowl of soup. Alternatively, ladle each serving of soup into a broiler safe bowl, top with a baguette and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese. Place the bowls onto a baking sheet, then place in the oven about 8 inches under the broiler. Broil until the cheese is bubbly, about 2 minutes.
Need more fall time comfort meal ideas like this one? Subscribe to our newsletter for weekly creative inspiration!
Recipe and photography by Sarah Anderson.