14 Herbaceous Cocktails Full of Fall Flavors
You’ve probably spent these past few sizzling months sippin’ healthy(ish) summer cocktails by the pool and enjoying near-daily mojito happy hours. But summer shouldn’t get ALL the boozy glory. There are umpteen reasons to clink glasses in the colder months, so putting a warm fall twist on our favorite cocktails is essential, and you can start by adding an herbaceous flare. Grab your clippers and start snipping at your herb garden, because these 14 herb-infused fall cocktails will be calling your name.
1. Sparkling Pomegranate Cranberry Sangria: Perfect for fall and winter holidays, this sangria adds an extra sparkle by swapping wine for Champagne. With a warm and earthy hint of rosemary, this stunning sip is inspired by seasonal flavors, Gatsby glam and New Year’s Eve bubbly. (via Justine Celina)
2. Blackberry and Sage G + T’s: If you adore classic cocktails, you’ve certainly downed a few gin and tonics. Though delightful on their own, a classic blend also makes for a great base upon which to build a new and fancy swig. This traditional gin and tonic gets a sweet upgrade with blackberries and fresh sage. (via The Charming Detroiter)
3. Vanilla, Pepper and Thyme Martini: There’s always thyme for a martini! Whether you’re cozy in leggings or clad in a cocktail dress, you’ll feel sophisticated and elegant when sipping one of these sweet yet peppery concoctions. We love a dirty martini with olives, but we can ditch them once in a while if it means having THIS. (via What Should I Make For…)
4. Honey Winter Bourbon Cocktail With Honey Sage Syrup: Throw your feet up, relax and put some hairs on your chest! (We kid.) Despite being pretty, this ain’t no sugared-up girly drink. Enjoy the deep taste of bourbon stirred with an orangey bite and some subtle sweetness from a honey sage syrup. (via One Broad’s Journey)
5. Exciting Cherry Mint Julep: If you love cherries as much as we do, you need this stunning spin on a mint julep in your life STAT. The rich sweetness of the cherries works wonders with the cool notes of fresh mint leaves. Enjoy an end-of-summer sunset on the porch with one (or several) of these tasty bevs. (via Dishes Delish)
6. Mumbai Mules: Refreshing and fizzy, this eccentric twist on the classic Moscow Mule will surely dazzle your guests this holiday season. This savory and sweet vodka-based blend gets a kick from toasted spices like cumin and saffron, plus loads of freshly sliced ginger. (via The Bojon Gourmet)
7. Thyme Tequila Fizz: The funny thing about doing tequila shots is that you’re fine until you’re totally notfine at all. If you want to enjoy the essence of tequila without hitting the floor, this thyme-infused beauty is the answer. Inspired by a love of fresh herbs, this blend has a tequila base that’s topped with sparkling Cava. (via Diverse Dinners)
8. Hibiscus Berry and Mint Iced Tea Cocktails: You can enjoy iced tea in the cooler fall months, right? Heck yes, you can. With juicy muddled strawberries and hibiscus vodka, this sweet and tart tea is topped off with fresh mint for a cool and earthy finish. Time to enjoy tea for ALL the seasons. (via What Do You Crave?)
9. Holiday Sangria: Greet your guests with a pitcher of this. Even if you’re not a wine drinker, you’ll undoubtedly appreciate the spiced fruity flavors of fall that make this sangria the most perfect holiday sangria there ever was. We’d recommend making a double batch of this one! (via The Blond Cook)
10. Pine-Infused Vodka Sour Cocktail: Nothing smells more like the winter holidays than fresh pine, amirite? This recipe changes things up with a lighter twist on a vodka sour cocktail, which is fizzy thanks to the addition of ginger ale. (The Girl on Bloor)
11. Pear and Thyme Martini: When we think about the greatly anticipated happy hour, we think martinis — and this one can’t miss. The fact that thyme goes amazingly with fruits isn’t new, but it’s not very often you see it paired with pears. How have we been missing out on this? (via Erin Made This)
12. Earl Grey, Ginger, Lemon and Bourbon: Lovers of Earl Grey tea love anything Earl Grey flavored, whether it’s cookies, cakes or even ice cream. We can only image their excitement over this gorgeous cocktail complete with fresh thyme. (via The Adventures of Bob and Shan)
13. Sparkling Pear and Ginger Cocktail: Pears are underrated, and this needs to be rectified — so celebrate the beginning of fall with the beautifully complex flavors of this fizzy pear cocktail. It’s sweet, herbaceous and incorporates an earthy sage liquor. (via Will Cook for Friends)
14. Bourbon Cider Punch: Imagine a late-afternoon stroll in the fall with crisp air, the sound of leaves crackling beneath your feet and an apple cider in hand; now imagine all of that, but replace the cider with a festive bourbon cider PUNCH with thyme-infused simple syrup. Has your mind just been blown? You’re welcome. (via Garlic and Zest)
For more fun fall recipes, cocktails + inspo, check us out on Pinterest!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.