Review of the 7 Most Popular Smartwatches For Your Wrist
If you’ve spent the past year or two obsessing over the most popular activity trackers, you’re going to love the next new wearable tech trend, the smartwatch. A smartwatch is the first device to finally add reason to wearing a watch in the digital age. Not only will it tell you the time, but it can also connect to WiFi and has bluetooth functionality so that it can seamlessly pair with your smartphone to relay calls, texts, and more without you ever having to pick up a separate device. It’s like all of the best qualities of your smartphone, on your wrist! (I’m personally excited about the fact that it will be much, much harder for me to ever drop, break, or lose my phone once I have one of these babies.)
Turns out, nearly all of our favorite electronics companies (and many new startups) are betting big on this trend, as there are already several smartwatches on the market (and more to come — hint, hint, Apple). Thus we thought we’d help break down the pros and cons of the top seven most talked about watches on our radar.
1. Pebble ($150): The oldest kid on the smartphone watch block, Pebble is a watch, a smartphone satellite, and a sleek piece of arm candy all in one. It connects to iPhone and Android phones using Bluetooth, alerting you with a silent vibration to incoming calls, emails, and texts. It also has a whole host of apps ranging from sports and fitness, to music and gaming. Plus, with tons of gorgeous digital watchfaces, the Pebble can be easily customized to your personality, mood, or outfit.
2. MetaWatch FRAME ($229): Put your name on the waiting list—the FRAME is currently out of stock. We’re not surprised. This gadget is the perfect blend of fashion and functionality. It works with iPhones and Android phones and features multiple watch face options in addition to features like caller ID, SMS, email, weather, and calendar notifications. You can control music via Bluetooth and the cycling and running app is on its way. Plus, social media features (!) are coming soon. Facebook and Twitter notifications on your wrist? We’re in. Oh, and did we mention it’s water resistant in up to 100 feet of water? Scuba divers, take note.
3. Martian Passport Watch ($300): Stainless steel, genuine leather, and sporty silicone? Is this a fashion accessory or a piece of technology? The Martian Passport is definitely the most stylish smartwatch we’ve come across. Don’t be fooled—despite its low-tech look, it’s not lacking in the “smart” department. With a noise-cancelling microphone and voice command, you can talk, listen, and receive notifications without ever taking your iPhone or Android phone out of your pocket. You can even take a photo remotely from your watch. What a timepiece!
4. Sony SmartWatch 2 ($200): If you have an Android phone, this is the watch for you. This newly-released gadget connects to your phone via Bluetooth, has NFC connectivity and an army of apps, and vibrates to alert you when new info is received. You can customize your SmartWatch to fit your style with a number of wrist strap options, too. It’s also dust- and waterproof, so feel free to head to the beach with this guy. While the design itself may be a little plain, at $200, it’s one of the more affordable options on the market.
5. Samsung GALAXY Gear ($300): This watch is so chock full of cool features, we don’t even know where to start. Thanks to the “Find My Device” feature, you can use your watch to find your phone when its misplaced. With voice command, you can make calls, write messages, set your alarm, and more without touching a button. And get this—the Gear automatically locks your smartphone whenever it’s more than 5 feet away from your watch and unlocks it when it’s close again. What!? That might be the definition of a “smart” watch. This sleek gadget is compatible across all of the Samsung GALAXY devices. Oh, and there are loads of apps…AND a built-in camera. Wow.
6. Adidas miCoach SMART RUN ($399): Calling all fitness enthusiasts! Mark your calendars for November 1st. Why? Because that’s the day that the new Adidas running watch is scheduled to hit the market. At $399, this is one of the more expensive models out there, however, it’s anticipated to be the most advanced running device on the market. Users will be able to monitor their heart rate (on their wrist—no chest strap needed), track their runs using GPS, play music via Bluetooth, receive audio coaching, and more. We’ve never been so motivated to work out.
7. Fitbit Force ($130): The Force is the newest activity-tracking wristband from Fitbit. This gadget, available in black and slate, uses an accelerometer to track your daily steps, your calories burned, your heart rate, and more. All of the data syncs wirelessly and automatically to your smartphone, tablet, PC, or Mac. As a result, you can view and analyze your stats anytime—AKA, it’s great for us data-driven geeks ;) You can view all of your stats through the OLED display, too. At night, the Force tracks your sleep patterns and has a silent vibrating wake alarm. Talk about a peaceful wake up call! Oh, and call notifications are coming soon. We just found our new personal trainer.
Hi, I'm Brit, the founder and CEO of Brit + Co. I'm a young mom of two, tech nerd and design-inclined lady who has a zillion hobbies and curious about... just about everything! My mission from the beginning has been to unlock women's creativity and courage to try new things so that they can find the path to their true passions.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.