These 8 Beauty Trends Will Be *Big* This Spring
There’s a bit of a beauty uniform during the winter: metallic lids, glossy lips, dark polished nails (maybe with a hint of holiday glitz). Come spring, those styles will have faded, leaving room for new trends to fill your makeup routines. If you’re anything like us, who’ve resolved to try the hottest hyped up looks of 2015 first hand, the refreshers are decidedly welcome. From a surge in chic nail art to the return of the red lip to an unexpected (but gorg) way to style your brows, here are eight straight-off-the runway beauty trends that will be *big* this spring.
1. The Rocker Smokey Eye: From piece-y shag hairstyles to long, defined lashes, ’70s signatures are sweeping the beauty realm. The retro stamp on the smokey eye is a party-till-dawn smudge that brings out your inner wild child. You can always stick with a classic black haze, though soft-but-still-daring hues like brown and purple, the latter seen at Derek Lam and Vera Wang (pictured) hit this trend’s moody sweet spot. (Photo via Peter Michael Dills/Getty)
2. Minimalist Manicures: When it comes to on-trend manicures, less is more this spring. Minimalist accents are making major noise, from a single piece of striping tape zipping across each nail — a look seen at Kate Spade New York — to dots brushed onto a single nail at Tibi, which means you barely have to lift a finger to step up your nail art game. (Photo via Anna Webber/Getty)
3. Inky Eyeliner: From sweeping winged liner at Saint Laurent to clipped outlines like this rigid not-quite cat eye at Céline to well, this, graphic liner is 2015’s answer to last year’s delicate flick. If you’re don’t already consider your liquid eyeliner your beauty P.I.C., these sharp and steady lines will certainly bring you two together. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
4. Bold Red Lips: Rouge lipstick is going rogue this spring by staining our pouts every shade in the spectrum. With all hues on-point—from the dark berry at Dolce & Gabbana to the bright orange-reds at Zac Posen to the classic red on Burberry Prorsum model Jourdan Dunn — this WILL be the season you find your red lipstick soulmate, no matter your skin tone. (Photo via Ian Gavan/Getty)
5. Raver Eyes: This season, pop-of-color liner gets a rave-y makeover. Designers used non-traditional products like strips of baby blue leather at Fendi and swipes of orange lipstick at Peter Som to achieve the color punch on the runway. To get a hyper-pigmented look at home using similarly unconventional, but see-for-miles materials, use a page from a magazine to create appliqués (really). If you’re set on sticking with makeup, simply layer on the color until you’ve reached your neon dream. (Photo via Mireya Acierto/Getty)
6. Negative Space Nails: Sometimes your nails are best left unfinished, at least when we’re talking negative space manicures. Swipe some polish across your tips, fill in *just* the half-moon part of your nail art or mix it up like the manis at Charlotte Ronson. The rest isn’t just fine as is, it’s totally on trend. (Photo via Fernanda Calfat/Getty)
7. Next-Level Brows: All this brow buffing we’ve been up to this past year might have secretly been prep for this offbeat look. Because now that we’re used to our furrow stealing the spotlight, why not dress ’em up with color like we do our lips and eyes? Blondes and redheads, take this trend for a spin with a petal pink or dusty rose eyeshadow like on this Badgley Mischka model. Brunettes, tint your brows marsala (that’s actually a thing) or if your hair is really dark, try filling them in with a plum powder. (Photo via Chelsea Lauren/Getty)
8. Fresh Faced: No-filter-style makeup isn’t just great news for your morning beauty ritual (forget fussing with 90% of your makeup kit), but it also might be the best thing for your skincare routine. Barely there makeup like the soft bronzer, rosey blush and peachy lips at Chloé, Tory Burch and Donna Karen (pictured) mean your focus will be on the real beauty basics: cleansing, toning and moisturizing. (Photo via Bryan Bedder/Getty)
What spring beauty trends are you most excited about? Which are you starting to wear now? Tell us in the comments below.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!