11 Organization Resolutions That Will Make a Big Impact in Your Home
For many of us, 2017 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2018! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks, and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
All this “new year, new me” talk can be a bit overwhelming, but don’t let the pressure of changing everything stop you from starting the year off right with some simple organization tricks. Even the smallest tweaks will add up to make a big impact and make your home feel more relaxed. So where to start? Enter Catherine C. from Task Rabbit — the site that offers high-quality and reliable home services, including house cleaning and handyman work. Catherine is a big believer that an organized home is a happy and productive home, and she has 11 brilliant tips that’ll help you beautify your home just in time to celebrate Organize Your Home Day on January 14. Scroll on to get all the pro tips!
1. Be a label loser. Labeling things in your home such as drawers and containers may make you feel like a loser, but it will 100 percent make your life easier and prevent you from frantically searching all over for something that is right in front of you.
2. Use the Four-Box Method. Take four boxes and label them as trash, give away, keep or relocate. Use this method for every room in your house; when you are done, the room should be completely empty. Then simply put back the items in the keep box, move the items in the relocate box to another area as you see fit and then give away and trash boxes!
3. Take the 12-12-12-12 Challenge. With the above method in mind, make it a challenge by trying to put 12 things in each box. 12 may seem like a lot, but we are aiming to also de-clutter, not just re-organize.
4. Hang with your hangers. Hang your hangers in your closet in the reverse direction. Once you wear an item, put it back on the hanger in the correct direction. After two or three months, take a look at your closet and see how many clothes are hanging in both directions. This will open your eyes to what you actually wear and what is just taking up space. Donate anything that is still hanging in the reverse direction.
5. Skittle-fy your Closet. Try sorting your clothes by color, like a rainbow. This is an easy way to make your closet appear more organized and will make locating clothes easier.
6. Mount shelves. Make the most of your space by mounting shelves onto your wall. This is great for any room in the house, even the closet and kitchen! Instead of storing things in bulky dressers or on countertops, hire a Tasker to hang shelves on your walls to really de-clutter your space.
7. Take the Two F’s Test. Does your cluttered paper pass the “Two F’s” test? If you can’t file it (bank statements, contracts, receipts, etc.) or frame it (children’s artwork, praise-worthy certificates, etc.) then toss it.
8. Launder in the laundry room. Although this is where we spend time cleaning our clothes, this room tends to be the messiest and most cluttered. Invest in a tray and put jars inside filled with missing buttons, collected pocket finds, clothes pins, mending supplies, etc.
9. Go by glass = class. Try storing food in glass containers on those shelves just installed. This saves space, makes ingredients easy to find and makes your kitchen appear less cluttered.
10. Roll with it. Roll your t-shirts in your drawers to make them more organized and take up less space.
11. Hire a Tasker. Although these tips are helpful, organizing your entire home can be a lot of work. Hire a Tasker from TaskRabbit to help with the load and make your home organized and clutter free!
Ready to start organizing your home? Follow us on Pinterest for more creative storage ideas and DIY ways to get your stuff organized AF.
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)