Cue the fireworks and celebratory red, white and blue to match — Independence Day is fast-approaching. As you begin coordinating a weekend’s worth of patriotic ensembles (duh!), don’t forget about the most statement-making accessory yet: your nails! In lieu of the traditional stars and stripes, we’re taking a more subtle approach to our manis this year. Scroll on for 15 patriotic manicures that aren’t overdone.
2. Mix + Match Patterns: Why opt for one print when you can have them ALL? (that’s our philosophy, at least.) Start with a blue base coat and then dress up your nails with a medley of criss-crosses, starbursts and horizontal lines using either white or red polish. (via @sfpartynails for Brit + Co)
3. Team Spirit Nails: Grab your nail art pens for this Insta-worthy design that is guaranteed to rack up the likes. If you’re Team USA, try this mani that puts your country’s colors front and center. (via Love Maegan)
4. Albert Mertz Nail Wraps ($13): When you find yourself strapped for time, nail wraps are the perfect remedy. Skip a trip to the salon by sticking these art-inspired wraps on your digits for a unique conversation-starting look. We can’t stop staring.
5. Slanted Tips: For a runway-approved mani that errs on the minimalist side, these slanted tips are both modern and edgy at the same time. Choose between navy, red or white depending on your attire for the day. (Photo by Chelsea Lauren/Getty Images)
6. Paisley Nails: These paisley nails with a southern flair will fit right in with your obligatory uniform of denim cut-offs and a striped tee. Limit the paisley design to just a few of your nails to avoid an overly matchy-matchy look. (via The Zoe Report)
7. Silver Leaf Manicure: For fancier Fourth of July shindigs, this silver leaf manicure is on fleek. These silver tips would look spectacular with an LBD and some pretty finger jewels. (via Into the Gloss)
8. Squiggly Flowers: It’s about time we introduced a new motif into the mix. In place of stars, swirly flowers are a welcomed alternative. If you look close enough, they almost resemble fireworks in the sky. (via Sephora)
9. Patriotic Color Palette: If nail art isn’t your forte, then there’s nothing wrong with keeping things simple. Allow your accent nail to serve as the focal point of your mani by jazzing it up with some stars in the shape of a half moon design. (via Fancy Finger Guns)
10. Half and Half: At last, a manicure that shows our love for the U.S. of A. minus the stars and stripes. While the patriotic color palette is still present, the two-tone design keeps us guessing. (via The Zoe Report)
12. Festive Mani for the Fourth: Say what?! This is the nail hack of the century. Apply a cobalt blue base coat, swipe on some glitter and voilà. Behold, a manicure that will outshine any fireworks show. (via Nailderella)
13. Abstract Geometric Design: For the all-American girl who wants nothing more than a holiday weekend filled with baseball, hot dogs and sparklers, this abstract design would be perf. Can you spot the hidden star? (via Nylon)
14. JinSoon Patriotic Mani: Because JinSoon can do no wrong, we’re more than happy to give this playful manicure a try. Dress up a white base with pretty waves that practically bounce off your fingertips. (via Byrdie)
Will you be trying one of these Fourth of July manis? Tell us in the comments or share a picture below!