Can’t Quit This: A Vegan Queso Dip We Swear Is Actually Awesome
The king of all tortilla chip dips has to be chile con queso, and while I can’t get enough of the classic Velveeta-Rotel-tomato combo, I’ve devised this cashew-based, non-dairy version that satisfies vegans and carnivores alike. Before you roll your eyes and shout “internet lies!” at your screen, I’ll admit — I had my skepticism too. Then, I discovered this recipe that actually tastes pretty darn comparable to the classic. Still dubious, I presented this dip to a group of at least 20 people, all of whom gave it a fiesta-worthy two thumbs up. My guess as to why this dip tastes so good is that it doesn’t rely on a vegan cheese for the base but rather roasted and blended cashew nuts. Alright now; ready to be a convert?
Vegan Queso Dip
Adapted from Stepfanie Romine
- 1 cup toasted, unsalted cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes or longer, then drained
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice, plus more if needed
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup hot water, plus more if needed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, juice drained and reserved
- 1 can diced green chilis (we used hot!)
- salt to taste
- green onion, diced, for garnish
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Place cashews, lime juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, black pepper, hot water, and juice from canned diced tomatoes into a blender. Pulse to combine, then purée until completely smooth. Add more hot water and blend if needed until a thick dip consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat over the stove top, mixing in 1/2 can diced tomatoes (reserving some for garnish) and an entire can of green chilis. Stir continuously with a rubber spatula (so the dip does not scorch the bottom of the pot) until heated through. Try the dip with a chip. If needed, season to taste with salt and more lime juice.
- Transfer to a bowl and garnish with diced tomatoes and green onion. Serve with tortilla chips.
More vegan recipes and how-tos can be found on Brit + Co’s Pinterest page!
(Photos via Brittany Griffin / Brit + Co)