12 Veggie Panini Recipes That Will Send You Straight to Sandwich Heaven on Meatless Monday
With scores of to-die-for grilled cheese recipes circulating the Internet and sandwiches being handed out of food truck windows, it's no secret there's a whole slew of foods that taste better in sandwich form — veggies included, obvi. But all too often, the notion of something being “vegetarian" is affiliated with a snooze fest of boring salads, unseasoned tofu and crudités. Newsflash: Vegetarians do, in fact, know how to create recipes that are a naughty and indulgent treat when the craving hits. Here are 12 toast-y, melt-y panini recipes to enjoy your veggies this #MeatlessMonday.
1. Mango Curry Hummus and Tandoori Roasted Red Pepper Panini: We all turn to vegetables and hummus for our snacking needs when we go through that whole I-need-to-eat-smarter ordeal. Why not go the extra mile and turn a healthy snack into a killer sandwich? Ain’t nothin’ bad to see here… (via Yup.. It’s Vegan!)
2. Tomato Jam and Mozzarella Panini: Well hello there, match made in heaven! Tomato jam and gooey mozz obviously belong together — the proof is in the panini. With the addition of fresh basil, this sando is a Caprese gone crazy. (via Cookie + Kate)
3. Grilled Peach Sandwich With Basil and Thai Peanut Sauce: Smashing sweet fruits and savory flavors together in a grilled sandwich isn’t unusual, but the addition of Thai peanut sauce inspires much intrigue. Who needs cheese when you have rich and creamy PB? (via Connoisseurus Veg)
4. Grilled Vegetable Panini: When you’re on the go but need a bite to refuel, avoid the greasy fast food and whip up one of these. Stuffed with grilled veggies and stringy cheese, this sandwich takes less than 30 mins to put together. Crisis averted! (via Chef Savvy)
5. Zucchini and Corn Panini With Pepper Jack Cheese: Zucchini is growing in abundance this time of year, and summer corn is on its way. If you’re looking for ideas to use up these seasonal faves, slap them between grilled bread with some pepper jack cheese. Your tastebuds will *definitely* thank you. (via Oh My Veggies)
6. Lemon Summer Vegetable Panini: This right here is a true sandwich of summer. Bright lemon-y flavors pop as you bite into thinly sliced summer vegetables and soft ricotta cheese. Whether you’re serving up a main course or dishing out bite-sized appetizers, this ‘wich will certainly deliver. (via Daily Squeeze)
7. Honeyed Rhubarb and Brie Panini: Sweet dreams are made of brie — who am I to disagree? Add some sweet and sour honeyed rhubarb and you’ll be biting into the sweetest dream you’ve ever had. (via The Miniature Moose)
8. Fried Green Tomato and Pimento Cheese Sandwich: Someone just stuffed the South between two slices of bread, and we couldn’t be more stoked. Fried green tomatoes are gems on their own — add to that pimento cheese, which is basically the “caviar of the South,” and you’ve got the best sandwich in all of the land. (via Buns in My Oven)
9. Balsamic Cherry and Shaved Asparagus Panini: It may seem a little odd to combine cherries and asparagus, but it’s not. We promise! Everything comes together with the addition of a rich balsamic, fresh herbs, lemon zest and soft mozzarella. (via Spache the Spatula)
10. Eggplant Parmesan Grilled Cheese With Chili Tomato Jam: Eggplant parm is one of those genius dishes that could make even the most loyal of meat-eaters opt for a vegetarian meal. The idea of squeezing it between two slices of crisped bread with tomato chili jam is, quite frankly, too much to handle. (via Eats Well With Others)
11. Caramelized Onion and Baby Bella Panini Melt: If you’ve ever wondered what French onion soup might be like in sandwich form, this is a great place to start. The best part? Sweet caramelized onions mingling with browned mushrooms beneath a sheet of melty provolone. (via Little Spice Jar)
12. Hummus and Veggie Panini: Light and wholesome, this grilled beauty offers some great balance. Along with a slice of smooth provolone, it provides a decent dose of protein and, best of all, you can even say you ate your greens. (via Aggie’s Kitchen)
Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious Meatless Monday recipe ideas.