10 Ways to Practice Self-Care When You Only Have 10 Minutes
If your vision of “self-care" is Sundays spent sleeping till noon, applying sheet masks, and doing the crossword in your pajamas, you're not far off. But self-care practices can (and should!) also be bite-size actions that easily slip into your daily routine, like picking up a pretty bouquet while you're out grabbing milk at the grocery store. We have 10 more ways to put yourself first when you only have 10 minutes to spare.
1. Spa out. Turn your shower into a full-on spa by hanging a bunch of eucalyptus from the showerhead. The steam will help release the essential oils for a soothing and uplifting rinse. While you're at it, apply a face mask while you shampoo and soap up too.
2. Treat your hands. Recreate the salon experience by grabbing your fave lotion and giving yourself a mini hand massage and quick mani. Try to really zone in on the feeling of working out any trapped stress points in your fingers and knuckles, and lose yourself in the act of painting on a pretty polish.
3. Get your om on. Do a quick search on YouTube for a 10-minute yin yoga class that'll zap stress in its tracks and leave your body and mind feeling fully refreshed. Yin yoga focuses on deep breath work and holding poses for a longer period of time than a regular hatha or vinyasa class.
4. Dream. DIY a quick lavender pillow spray that'll guarantee the sweetest snooze when you finally hit the hay. Fill a small amber glass spray bottle with 30 drops of lavender essential oil, three tablespoons filtered water, and 1/2 tablespoon witch hazel.
5. Enjoy tea time. Create your own tea ritual by setting out your favorite mug, saucer, and looseleaf tea. Do some stretches or deep breathing while you wait for the water to boil and your tea to steep. We like gunpowder green or Earl Grey for an afternoon cuppa, or try chamomile or rooibos before bed.
6. Reach out to a loved one. Text a far-flung friend that you're thinking of her, and ask a quick question that she'll be able to reply to instantly. Something like, "What's for dinner?" or "What was the funniest thing that happened to you today?" will get the convo going without all the pressure to fully catch up right this minute.
7. Try earthing. You know the blissed-out feeling you get when your feet are in the sand? There's actually scientific evidence to back up the concept of "earthing," when our bodies physically interact with the earth's electrons to positive effect (several small studies show it can reduce blood pressure and help insomnia). For a quick hit of feel-good vibes, walk barefoot in the park, slip off your hiking boots in the woods, or simply go touch dirt somewhere (as the weather allows).
8. Read. What if you skipped the endless IG scroll next time you're in line at Whole Foods and actually read a few pages of that novel you downloaded forever ago? Reading is a form of active relaxation and lets the mind focus on one single task, similar to meditation.
9. Update your calendar. Finally schedule that doc appointment that's been on regular roll-over on your to-do list. Getting on the books at the dentist/optometrist will make you a) feel accomplished and b) benefit your future health. Win-win.
10. Call your grandma. And not just on her birthday. She'll treasure a quick chat with her fave granddaughter, and we bet hearing her voice on the other end of the line will brighten your day too.
This article has been updated from a previous post.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)