Say it with us now: (Oprah voice) It’s WEDDING SEASONNNN!!! And while everyone likes to celebrate a good love story — and get down on the dance floor — finding something appropriate to wear to a friend’s big day can turn into a real stress inducer. Bottom line: It all depends on the type of nuptials you’re attending. Are they in an ultra-fancy ballroom? Outside on the beach? Whatever the vibe, we’ve shopped out eight options that’ll snag you the title of Best Dressed Guest.
1. As long as you’re formally dressed, fun color and pattern are still totally acceptable — so stick to floor-length (or tea-length) options. Chances are you’re headed to a grand, ballroom-type venue, so channel your inner Old Hollywood starlet in a sleek (but not over-the-top) gown like this Likely Driggs Strapless Gown ($378).
2. Not quite as dressed-up as black tie, you can get away with a timeless above-the-knee option, like this J.Crew One-Shoulder Dress in Eyelet ($158). Playful and elegant at the same time, the one-shoulder ruffle also hits two spring trends at once. Score!
3. Have fun with this one! Embrace your tropical surroundings — and that island attitude — in a palm print beauty like this ASOS Tropical Pephem Jacquard Pencil Midi Dress ($113). *Books flight*
4. For low-key, backyard vows, go understated but still festive in the Endless Rose Dress With Tiered Sleeve ($104). Bonus points for the of-the-moment pink hue.
5. For a SATC-esque City Hall wedding, a retro, silky dress like this & Other Stories Glossy Dots Dress ($115) totally fits the bill. Classic and toned down, this frock is just right whether you’re going to a post-nuptials brunch at the diner or back to the office.
Seaside Yacht Club
6. Waterfront vows just call for nautical stripes. The Milly Adeline Diagonal Stripe Strapless Sheath Dress ($450) is a fun but wearable take on the staple print.
7. Let your inner country girl out in this Reformation Odessa Dress ($248). Light and airy (many barns don’t have AC), you’ll strike that just-right balance between romantic and rustic.
8. Pick up on the soft, feminine vibe of your floral surroundings with this French Connection Agnes Floral Applique Strappy Dress ($328). The loose, easy fit also leaves room for an extra slice of wedding cake. Yes, please.