Sometimes it’s best to use your food for reasons other than a meal. Besides making food art, another resourceful use of fruits, veggies and more is to make your own makeup and beauty essentials. Not only are they beneficial for your skin and hair, they also make you look pretty scrumptious ;) While everyone knows lemons, oranges and other common pantry items are good for the skin, we were inspired by this week’s Oreo mascara hack to dig up some of the most WTF uses for edibles that we could find. Just maybe eat those Oreos instead of putting them on your eyelashes.
1. Beets as Lip or Cheek Stain: When you’re looking to brighten up your lips or cheeks, try this stain that mixes beets, honey and olive oil. You’ll have everyone staring at your beauty all day/night long. (via Treasures + Travels)
4. Egg Yolk + Olive Oil as Hair Treatment: Combine the essentials for a good fried egg together in your hair instead of the frying pan and you’ll have stronger, shinier strands as a result. (via Pemberley Jones)
6. Thyme or Chai as Face Steams: You know how you like to put your face over your hot tea to catch the smell (and maybe pretend like you’re getting a facial)? It actually does work wonders for your skin if you add the right ingredients together from pantry items. (via Little Green Dot)
7. Olive Oil as Night Cream: You’re guaranteed to have sweet dreams after applying this solid cream into your nightly routine. Perks = you’ll wake up with less dark circles under those eyes ;) (via Jellibean Journals)
11. Beer as a Hair Mask: Yep, you can put the brew in your hair to help with split ends and bring out shine. The proteins and sugar in beer help your hair bond, which helps fight frizz. No need to pour a pint over your head though, use a spray bottle and spray away. (via Sweet Disasters)
14. Strawberries as Teeth Whitener: You may not know it, but the sweet red berries can be used for a lot of things other than just to eat or decorate your spiked beverage. Just ask Michelle Phan, who uses freshly picked strawberries to whiten her teeth. Bye, Crest Whitestrips! (via Hello Natural)
15. Coffee Beans + Coconut Oil as Body Scrub: This sugar scrub is packed with antioxidants to lighten and brighten your skin while also helping to temporarily minimize cellulite. We’ll take a double shot of this scrub. (via Brit + Co)
16. Pepto-Bismol, Tomatoes + Aspirin as Acne Remedies: There’s so many DIY recipes for acne it makes us wonder why we even buy everything in the beauty aisle. Try ’em all and let us know which works best to give you clear skin. (via Barefoot Blonde)
24. Avocado Oil, Mayo + Honey as a Hair + Face Mask: This trio creates a moisturizing concoction that can be used for either your hair or face (why not go with both!). When Blake approves of running some mayo through your hair to avoid split ends you know it’s worthy of a try. (via Bespangled)
Which crazy food beauty hack will you/have you tried? Let us know in the comments.