15 Stylish Ways to Keep Off the Freshman 15
Ask any of your gym gfs and they’d agree: You should switch up your gym clothes just as often as you switch up your workout routine. But we’re not gonna lie, a glimpse into our drawer of the same old activewear leaves us with little motivation to peel our butts off of the couch and get moving. Oversized tees and ratty yoga pants don’t at all match our fitness ambitions, and we’ve been hard-pressed to find workout clothes that actually do (you too?). So, early this year when Urban Outfitters launched Without Walls, a brand completely dedicated to cool and functional activewear and workout accessories, we knew we had finally found fitness essentials we could rely on to pump us up as much as our yoga buddies. This fall, it’s no different.
With a wide-sweeping range of colorful gear dedicated to surfers, cyclists, hikers and runners (as much as guys and gals who regularly hit the gym), Without Walls boasts both its own brand of trend-leaning tops, sports bras and spandex along with jackets, sneakers, swimsuits and yoga mats from a roster of hard-to-find labels and major-league active brands like Asics, Columbia, Patagonia and Vans. Whether you’re in the market for pieces that act as the final push you need to get your butt in gear (literally) to fit into your favorite fall jeans or are looking for a way to keep the dreaded Freshman 15 away, you’ll want to make Without Walls your go-to outlet for gear. Scroll through to get a glimpse of what workout wear will look like in your future gym bag.
1. Salt Gypsy Fanta Surf Legging ($68): Whether you catch a wave or jog for miles in these moisture-wicking, pattern-mixed leggings, you won’t be soaked for long. Made from quick-drying material, this pair is even equipped with a sneaky inner pocket to keep your keys at bay.
2. Without Walls Tie-Dye Dropped Armhole Tank Top ($28): This oversized, dropped-armhole tank is the perfect piece to wear over your go-to sports bra during cardio kickboxing or hot classes that make you sweat off the lbs.
3. K-Way Lily Mesh Jacket ($98): Mesh that doesn’t look like a flag football tank? It’s happening. Made with taped seams and water- and wind-resistant fabric, this breathable jacket will soon become your go-to extra layer no matter what course you crash.
4. Perusha People Ancient Coral Jumpsuit ($98): Yep, now you can workout in a jumpsuit, and we kind of love it. Think of how chill you’ll look clad in this handmade bamboo jumpsuit holding mountain pose, and how nice it will be when your fabric doesn’t tumble up your bod when you reverse your dog.
5. Onzie Pura Forest Dot Vida Pant ($68): Sometimes you just crave a little extra breathing room from your gym clothes, and these side-slit pants fit the bill. Tie ‘em at the ankle when you’re pumping iron, then wear them loose once you hit the mat.
6. Onzie Orchid Bustier Bra ($58): Don’t ever say that sports bras aren’t sexy. This bustier-style bra is your new uniform for low-impact workout routines.
7. MICHI Butterfly Cropped Top ($134): This knotted back crop top is our cycling class soul mate. We’re way more likely to push harder knowing that our backs won’t be puddled once we unclip.
8. Onzie Turquoise Track Legging ($64): If a legging ever made us actually want to get out and do more burpees, this is the pair! We’re obsessed with this black-neon blue-coral combo, but these spandex come in all kinds of swoon-worthy color blocks.
9. Asics Illusion Shrug Top ($58): Make your tank top go the extra mile with you in this comfy shrug top. A hood + thick cuffs with thumbhols make sure you’re completely covered when it counts.
10. Champion Novelty Short ($24): Mesh shorts made for a modern woman? We’ll take ‘em – one in every neon hue, please!
11. Nesh NY Illusion Patchwork Top ($128): This sheer top will work with whatever moves you decide to pull that day — keep it on for a little extra coverage while you run, cycle, crunch or stretch!
12. Onzie Elastic Bra Top ($44): Strappy bras are making the sportswear crossover (get it?) and we love it. Power walk in style in this scoopneck that comes in seven different colors.
13. Move by Alternative U R Powerful Hoodie ($68): Contrast trim and a crossed back adds street-style flair to this hooded workout tank. Toss it on over a neon sports bra and trek to the dance studio in style.
14. Onzie Colorblock Capri Legging ($58): Patterned cuffs and a contrast color waistband take these spandex from basic capri to gym class hero. We’d stretch it out in this pair any day.
15. ALIIGN Space Kimono ($88): This might be the ultimate way to peace out after you say namaste. A geometric print pops on this jersey kimono we’d totally wear outside of the yoga studio.
What pieces have you wishing you were sweating right now? Tell us what you want to be wearing during your next workout in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.