15 Stylish Ways to Keep Off the Freshman 15
Ask any of your gym gfs and they’d agree: You should switch up your gym clothes just as often as you switch up your workout routine. But we’re not gonna lie, a glimpse into our drawer of the same old activewear leaves us with little motivation to peel our butts off of the couch and get moving. Oversized tees and ratty yoga pants don’t at all match our fitness ambitions, and we’ve been hard-pressed to find workout clothes that actually do (you too?). So, early this year when Urban Outfitters launched Without Walls, a brand completely dedicated to cool and functional activewear and workout accessories, we knew we had finally found fitness essentials we could rely on to pump us up as much as our yoga buddies. This fall, it’s no different.
With a wide-sweeping range of colorful gear dedicated to surfers, cyclists, hikers and runners (as much as guys and gals who regularly hit the gym), Without Walls boasts both its own brand of trend-leaning tops, sports bras and spandex along with jackets, sneakers, swimsuits and yoga mats from a roster of hard-to-find labels and major-league active brands like Asics, Columbia, Patagonia and Vans. Whether you’re in the market for pieces that act as the final push you need to get your butt in gear (literally) to fit into your favorite fall jeans or are looking for a way to keep the dreaded Freshman 15 away, you’ll want to make Without Walls your go-to outlet for gear. Scroll through to get a glimpse of what workout wear will look like in your future gym bag.
1. Salt Gypsy Fanta Surf Legging ($68): Whether you catch a wave or jog for miles in these moisture-wicking, pattern-mixed leggings, you won’t be soaked for long. Made from quick-drying material, this pair is even equipped with a sneaky inner pocket to keep your keys at bay.
2. Without Walls Tie-Dye Dropped Armhole Tank Top ($28): This oversized, dropped-armhole tank is the perfect piece to wear over your go-to sports bra during cardio kickboxing or hot classes that make you sweat off the lbs.
3. K-Way Lily Mesh Jacket ($98): Mesh that doesn’t look like a flag football tank? It’s happening. Made with taped seams and water- and wind-resistant fabric, this breathable jacket will soon become your go-to extra layer no matter what course you crash.
4. Perusha People Ancient Coral Jumpsuit ($98): Yep, now you can workout in a jumpsuit, and we kind of love it. Think of how chill you’ll look clad in this handmade bamboo jumpsuit holding mountain pose, and how nice it will be when your fabric doesn’t tumble up your bod when you reverse your dog.
5. Onzie Pura Forest Dot Vida Pant ($68): Sometimes you just crave a little extra breathing room from your gym clothes, and these side-slit pants fit the bill. Tie ‘em at the ankle when you’re pumping iron, then wear them loose once you hit the mat.
6. Onzie Orchid Bustier Bra ($58): Don’t ever say that sports bras aren’t sexy. This bustier-style bra is your new uniform for low-impact workout routines.
7. MICHI Butterfly Cropped Top ($134): This knotted back crop top is our cycling class soul mate. We’re way more likely to push harder knowing that our backs won’t be puddled once we unclip.
8. Onzie Turquoise Track Legging ($64): If a legging ever made us actually want to get out and do more burpees, this is the pair! We’re obsessed with this black-neon blue-coral combo, but these spandex come in all kinds of swoon-worthy color blocks.
9. Asics Illusion Shrug Top ($58): Make your tank top go the extra mile with you in this comfy shrug top. A hood + thick cuffs with thumbhols make sure you’re completely covered when it counts.
10. Champion Novelty Short ($24): Mesh shorts made for a modern woman? We’ll take ‘em – one in every neon hue, please!
11. Nesh NY Illusion Patchwork Top ($128): This sheer top will work with whatever moves you decide to pull that day — keep it on for a little extra coverage while you run, cycle, crunch or stretch!
12. Onzie Elastic Bra Top ($44): Strappy bras are making the sportswear crossover (get it?) and we love it. Power walk in style in this scoopneck that comes in seven different colors.
13. Move by Alternative U R Powerful Hoodie ($68): Contrast trim and a crossed back adds street-style flair to this hooded workout tank. Toss it on over a neon sports bra and trek to the dance studio in style.
14. Onzie Colorblock Capri Legging ($58): Patterned cuffs and a contrast color waistband take these spandex from basic capri to gym class hero. We’d stretch it out in this pair any day.
15. ALIIGN Space Kimono ($88): This might be the ultimate way to peace out after you say namaste. A geometric print pops on this jersey kimono we’d totally wear outside of the yoga studio.
What pieces have you wishing you were sweating right now? Tell us what you want to be wearing during your next workout in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.