ICYMI: Hygge is the ultra-cozy Danish lifestyle craze sweeping the globe, and it’s changing the way we think about the little things in life. In a nutshell, the term refers to a feeling of contentment or well-being derived from finding joy in ordinary, everyday experiences and things. It could be as simple as sipping hot cocoa by the fire, sharing a candlelit dinner with friends or snuggling up in soft knitwear. With winter in full force and the holiday season behind us, the trend couldn’t have come at a better time. Because let’s be real — any opportunity to don deliciously comfortable duds in soothing neutral hues must be seized. So pack up those party-ready shoes and accessories and allow your inner lazy girl to take over with one of the 14 comfy essentials below.
1. & Other Stories Braids Merino Wool Knit ($115): A warm and wooly knit is non-negotiable as far as your winter wardrobe is concerned, and this braided beauty should be on the top of your shopping list. The oatmeal hue and luxe look of the merino wool make it a shoo-in for your working girl routine when teamed with tailored black ankle trousers and smart menswear-inspired kicks, while the oversized fit makes it perfect for cozying up by the fire, glass of red in hand.
2. Topshop Claire Luxe Faux Fur Coat ($150): Don’t mind us — we’ll just be living in this lovely lilac coat for the next three months. Whether you team it with everyday denim or a floral maxi dress, the result will be straight-up stunning. With glamour built right in, you’ll want to make sure you have this number on hand for every upcoming event (wedding, birthday bash or GNO) on your iCal.
3. ASOS Woven Oversized Scarf in Herringbone Stripe ($28): Since leaving the house with your down comforter in tow just isn’t going to happen (logistics, people!), an oversized scarf is key. The bundle of warmth will keep biting winds and frigid temps at bay, while lending a cozy-cool edge to tough-girl basics, like a leather jacket or structural bag.
4. Intimately Simply Henley Bodysuit ($58): There’s something innately comforting and undeniably sexy about a bodysuit, and this henley interpretation is no different. Tuck it into cashmere sweats for a Netflix sesh, or toss it on with a flowy midi skirt and ankle boots for date night with bae.
5. Mango Wool-Blend Palazzo Trousers ($150): Take style cues from the runway and test drive knitted sets this season. A good place to start? This pair of rib knit palazzo pants that is equal parts sophisticated and snuggly. Rock the bottoms at the office with a crisp button down, sleek drop earrings and snake print block heels for a laid-back look that’ll score you serious points with HR.
6. Zara Faux Fur Crossbody Bag ($50): Resist the urge to rock your standard crossbody bag or leather tote this season, and instead enlist this furry stunner to turn up the heat on your #OOTD. Even when the temps dip below freezing, it’ll make you feel like you’re cozied up by the fireside.
7. Urban Outfitters Slouchy Ribbed Sock ($14): Frozen toes? No, thanks. Whether you like ’em fuzzy or knee-high, the merits of a warm pair of socks come winter simply can’t be denied. This ribbed pair is perfect for lazy Saturday morning brunch bonanzas or cross-country jet-setting (who doesn’t love in-flight socks?).
8. Moon River Faux Shearling and Leather Coat ($163): Introducing the shearling-trimmed coat that will keep you warm and looking fly all season long. The fuzzy interior feels like a warm hug in the midst of icy temps, while the faux suede upper and silhouette will lend your look a touch of throwback flair. Team it with aviators and printed flared trousers for a decidedly ’70s style.
9. Ganni Brooks Hat ($110): Bundling up without a knitted topper? Not a chance! We can’t decide what we love more: the playful pink hue or the braided detail that sends the cozy vibes into overdrive.
10. Mango Buckled Linen-Blend Cardigan ($120): This isn’t your grandma’s classic cardigan. Asymmetric styling and a bold ring fastener set this knee-length number apart from the rest. Layer it over a turtleneck, distressed black skinny jeans and embroidered ankle boots FTW.
11. Chatelles Sherpa Loafers ($238): Unless you live in a warmer climate, it’s unlikely that classic flats make it into your winter rotation. Stepping out sans socks? Not gonna happen. But trimmed in soft sherpa, these low-lying kicks are about to change everything. Unlike your trusty leather ballerinas, these sleek loafers are cold-weather approved.
12. H&M Joggers ($18): Joggers are pretty much the definition of hygge in our book, but that doesn’t mean we’re about to settle for your average set. These pretty-in-pink bottoms on the other hand? We’re totally game. Dress ’em up with an elegant rib turtleneck and glitzy drop earrings for girls’ night in, or go hard-core cozy with an oversized sweater, blanket scarf and shearling-lined slippers.
13. Madewell Lace-Up Sweater Dress ($128): One and done. Kickin’ it all cozy like doesn’t have to mean ditching those fine-tuned sartorial sensibilities. This so-soft sweater dress brings the street style vibes with its lace-up neckline with ’70s appeal. Style it up with tights, boots and a longline coat for a gallery opening or tapas with your crew.
14. Silence + Noise Nadia Cozy Wrap Midi Skirt ($69): When you need to sass it up, but still want to channel some hygge vibes, this wrap skirt is your best bet. Slip it on with a silk cami and faux-fur trimmed heels, then proceed to snag all the style cred.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.