The Bachelorette contestants are here, and they’re weirder than ever. Check that and more of today’s top news stories out below.
1. ABC’s upcoming season of The Bachelorette already had people excited when they announced Rachel Lindsay as the one looking for love, and now that they’ve revealed the contestants, we know for sure it’s gonna be a good summer of reality TV and wine. Lots of wine. In a Facebook live video, host Chris Harrison ran through the bios and headshots of the contestants, which he described as “the most successful, most diverse, and, of course, most dramatic cast we have ever had on the show.” Some of the men were introduced as legal and medical professions, but others are described as a professional wrestler, a tickle monster (?!), and a “whaboom.” A WHAT? “It’s hard to explain, but it’s a lifestyle,” said Harrison. OMG, can’t wait.
2. Chris Cornell, singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, is dead at the age of 52. After a sold-out show in Detroit Wednesday night, Cornell was found dead, and his rep, Brian Bumbery, said in a statement that the death was “sudden and unexpected.” According to AP, police are reportedly investigating it as a possible suicide at this time. Fellow musicians are shocked and devastated by the news, praising Cornell’s talent and mourning his death. “Incredibly Talented. Incredibly Young. Incredibly Missed,” Jimmy Page said. Our thoughts are with his family at this time. (Photo via Kevin Winter/Getty)
3. Jennifer Lawrence had the perfect response to people trying to shame her for dancing at a strip club. This week, a video of Jennifer Lawrence pole dancing at a Vienna, Austria strip club was published online, with an eyewitness account trying to shame her for seeming drunk and dancing on stage. Lawrence is not here for it, and in a post on Facebook that you can just HEAR the eye roll in, she said she wasn’t sorry. “Look, nobody wants to be reminded that they tried to dance on a stripper pole by the internet,” she says. “It was one of my best friend’s birthdays and I dropped my paranoia guard for one second to have fun. I’m not going to apologize, I had a BLAST that night. Ps, that’s not a bra it’s an Alexander Wang top and I’m not gonna lie, I think my dancings pretty good. Even with no core strength.” LOL. Perfect. (Photo via Juan Naharro Gimenez/Getty)
4. Um, could Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed get any cuter? Turns out the answer is yes. The parents-to-be are pretty clearly head-over-heels in lurve with each other, and Somerhalder proved it tenfold with the sappiest and sweetest note to Reed for her birthday. “The love and light you radiate to the world shines like a beacon for all to see,” he wrote in a nine-photo Instagram slideshow. “It’s that love and light that guides me to the safe shores of home from the turbulent and sometimes treacherous waters of life.” If you thought THAT was sappy, read this next part: “Thank you for your tireless pursuit of spreading good, being an instrument of change and seamlessly weaving the complex threads of our lives together into the warmest, softest and most magical blanket.” Ian, how do you come up with this stuff?!
5. Nick and Aaron Carter’s father has died at age 65 and the two are heartbroken. Nick Carter broke the news on Twitter that his and younger brother Aaron’s dad had passed away, saying he was heartbroken to share the news. The Backstreet Boy member added, “While we learn more about the cause of death, and begin the grieving process, we ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time.” Aaron expressed his shock and devastation in a series of heartbreaking tweets. “My heart is completely shattered. I’m in shock,” he said, before later saying he was “really messed up right now” and simply “Lost” over his father’s death. So sad. Our thoughts are with the Carters.
6. Quote of the day: “As I rebuild my life, I remind myself not to relive the past. The past will always affect me and I will keep that in mind while remembering that how it played out is only my starting point, not my final destination.” Chelsea Manning celebrates her first day out of prison, a free woman after Barack Obama commuted the rest of her whistleblowing sentence.
Do you try not to live in the past? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured image via @bacheloretteabc)