12 of the Healthiest Winter Soup Recipes You’ve Ever Spooned
The #1 most common new year’s resolution is to be healthy, but sometimes veggies don’t sound so amazing in the dead of winter. Warm winter soups to the rescue! While some soups can be quite unhealthy (beware of the cream-based varieties!), there are a plethora out there that are tasty, filling, and nutritious. We’ve rounded up a dozen of our favorites below. And stay tuned for a new Brit + Co. healthy soup recipe over the next few days!
1. Vegan Kale and Roasted Vegetable Soup: We love how vitamin-packed this soup is! Whether you’re a vegetarian, vegan, or a meat eater, this soup is hearty and satisfying for any appetite. (Recipe and photo: Dula Notes)
2. North African Carrot Soup with Chermoula: We can’t believe this soup is made of carrots! Our eyesight is already improving just by looking at it. Thick and creamy with no cream? We’re in! If you want, you can also substitute the sour cream with Greek yogurt for an even lighter take. (Recipe and photo: Feasting at Home)
3. Chicken Mushroom Soba Noodle Soup: If you’re tired of the typical sodium-infused canned chicken noodle soup, swap it out for this delicious Japanese-inspired version. (Recipe and photo: Kitchen Confidante)
4. Garlic Soup: This might be one of the most flavorful soups ever. The garlic and herb combination packs major flavor. Just a tip – you may not want to snuggle up too close to your significant other after this one! (Recipe and photo: Delicious Shots)
5. Creamy Roasted Asparagus Soup: By roasting the vegetables in the oven before making the soup, the vegetables gain a sweet, hearty flavor that is the basis of this soup. Throw in some potatoes to make it creamy, and you’re set! (Recipe and photo: Edible Biology)
6. Brazilian Shrimp Stew: This soup is perfect for those on the paleo diet. With delicious shrimp and creamy coconut milk, it’s ideal for a post workout dinner. (Recipe and photo: I Breathe… I’m Hungry)
7. Spicy Pumpkin Soup: Fall and winter are the seasons for gourds, so use fresh, local ingredients for this filling spicy pumpkin soup. PS: Just because it’s past October does NOT mean pumpkin season is over! (Recipe and photo: A Tasty Love Story)
8. Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Soup: Gotta love a good healthy food hack. The creaminess seen in this soup is actually made using roasted cauliflower as opposed to potatoes and cream. Yum! (Recipe and photo: Two Peas and Their Pod)
9. Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Goat Cheese and Herb Marbles: We love how this soup uses cheese in a new way. Instead of sprinkling it on top, create cheese marbles. So fun! (Recipe and photo: Apron Strings)
10. Sweet Potato Soup: Despite its color, this soup is actually made of sweet potatoes. With a little bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, this soup is both sweet and savory. (Recipe and photo: Elephantine)
12. ABCDE Soup: And we’re ending our roundup with the beginning of the alphabet! Our almond cream of broccoli soup uses almond milk as a secret ingredient to make this soup creamy and tres healthy. (Recipe and photo: Brit + Co)
And if you’re looking for even more soup recipes, we’ve got the goods here from last winter’s healthy resolutions.