22 Insane Recipes to Get You Through Your/Beyonce’s 22 Day Vegan Challenge
Sure we had our doubts when Beyoncé and Jay-Z announced that they were going vegan for 22 days at the end of 2013, but the proof is in the chia pudding: they did it and look DAMN GOOD. All of a sudden, our usual bacon-loving Twitter and Facebook feeds are filled with friends taking on the challenge in their own kitchens and we want to help. If you’re worried that meat is irreplaceable, we have 22 recipes that are going to put your doubts in a box to the left, to the left and make you say, “wow! I can’t believe it’s not, not-vegan!” Live-it, don’t diet with a different dish for each day of your 22 Day Vegan Challenge.
3. Soy-Free Eggs Benedict: If you think every vegan dish has to have tofu in it, think again. These get the brunch treatment using chickpea patties in place of the egg, a cashew-based sauce for the hollandaise all atop (wait for it) shiitake bacon(!!). (via Keepin’ It Kind)
4. Vegan Cheese Plate: How many times have you moaned, “I could NEVER give up cheese!” as a reason for not being able to go vegan? Well, find a new excuse because we have a little secret for you: vegan cheese is actually pretty easy to make and crazy delicious to eat. (via The Clean Eating Machine)
5. Chipotle, Citrus Sweet Potato Soup: Spoiler alert, it’s easy to make many soups vegan by subbing in veggie stock and non-dairy milks. Plus, it’s a hearty, delicious dish that’s usually cheap, quick to make. Go ahead, treat yo’self to the Vitamix or NutriBullet of your dreams pre-Challenge. (via Lunchbox Bunch)
7. Raw Vegan “Salmon” Nori Rolls: Another reason to invest in a good blender: you can mix up paté (this one’s made with carrots, walnuts, sunflower seeds, kelp and spices) used in a sushi roll here. (via Food and Yoga For Life)
8. Kale Ceasar Superfood Salad: Kale is the popular, iron-filled, cool kid right now on the green scene so you’ll get to know him well if you don’t already. Though you’ll probably hang out with him and quinoa A LOT in your 22 days, here’s a recipe if you’re missing your old, anchovy and iceberg lettuce-filled pal Ceasar. (via Eat Life Whole)
10. Lentil Mushroom Burgers: We can’t promise these will taste the same as the grilled patties you’re used to, but they’ll scratch your burger itch with big flavor that’s still veg! (via Oh My Veggies)
16. Coconut Pot Pie: Coconut milk and spices give this the dreamy creaminess you’re used to in the chicken version and the cute sketches on this blog will assuage your fears about what your pantry needs to be stocked with in order to make it. (via The Vegan Stoner)
20. Homemade Vegan Cronuts: There’s no shortage of delicious vegan desserts out there — if you don’t believe us, head to your nearest bakery or Pinterest board and get ready to salivate. This recipe proves you can still get your “Cupcake of the Moment” fix and eat it too during the Challenge. (via House Vegan)
21. Vegan Peanut Butter Pretzel Truffles: As long as you don’t have an allergy, peanut butter can be your best friend, New Temporary Vegan! In your oatmeal or on grainy toast in the AM, it’ll give you energy to kick off your day and in baking it will be a sub that won’t even make you miss the plain butter you’re leaving out. Plus, peanut butter pretzel anything sounds good to us… (via Minimalist Baker)
22. Momofuku Milk Bar’s Birthday Cake: A vegan version of one of the most decadent desserts from one of the most delicious (and deliciously naughty) sweet spots in the world proves once and for all, you, on your 22-day vegan challenge, can have your cake and eat it too. (via GF in the City)
Have you tried the 22-Day Vegan Challenge? Would any of these recipes give you the inspiration to do it?!