14 Party-Ready Outfits from the AMAs Red Carpet
Sure, the American Music Awards may have been all about the booty this year (thanks J Lo, Iggy + Nicki), but last night, the recording industry’s most popular artists proved that it isn’t the only asset worth flaunting come your turn to dress up this season (let’s just roll with that pun). Plunging necklines, thigh-high slits, off-the-shoulder cuts and crop tops ruled the largely body-con free red carpet, showcasing slinky, ‘70s-inspired silhouettes that every girl should try this holiday, whether or not you’ve got buns, hun. Get your glam on with these 14 party-ready outfits straight from the best dressed at the AMAs.
1. Fergie: Besides loving Fergie with barely-there makeup, we’re completely sold on her classic black maxi, which sets an extremely (thigh) high standard for the silhouette. Take note: if it’s not equipped with a slit, like this Pink Clove One Shoulder Maxi Dress ($36), it’s simply not Fergalicious enough for the holiday. Style it out with matching metallic accessories from head to toe: chokers, stacking rings and anklets are all fair game.
2. Kate Beckinsale: Kate shows how classy a plunging neckline can be, in part due to the figure-hugging (not skin-tight) fit, pure white hue and her minimal, yet totally impactful accessories. Show off that collar bone in this (bra-friendly) Topshop Cutout Bralet Bodycon Dress ($70) that would look just as posh paired with a rhinestone stunner around the neck.
3. Julianne Hough: Take a cue from Julianne and go for a maxi dress with next-level detail around the plunging neckline. This Forever 21 Caged Maxi Dress ($23) is an all-in-one eye catcher, no statement necklace necessary (though feel free to slip on an arm cuff or two, because why not?).
4. Nicki Minaj: Leave it to Nicki to turn up one of the preppiest cuts a cocktail party as ever seen — the fit and flare dress. A number with mesh cutouts, like this ASOS Petite Exclusive Scuba Skater Dress ($76) adds edge to the pretty silhouette, along with a red carpet-approved arm cuff. Finish the look sweetly with a cat eye and red lip, or do as Nicki does and apply a frosted lipstick and boosted lashes.
5. Taylor Schilling: Taylor is rocking three of our favorite trends: asymmetric hems, a black and white color palette and a pop of color pump. While this look would be easy to build with separates — find a modern white blouse + belt it over a black wrap skirt — a dress always feels more special. Get the same vibe with this ASOS Mesh Asymmetric Hem Body-Conscious Dress ($67) and pair with your most festive pumps.
6. Olivia Munn: We have to give it to Olivia. She went for it in a floor-length sequined dress, and dared to amp it up even more with a statement belt, drop earrings and a plum lip. *Do* go head-to-toe in gold, like this Love Plunge Neck Maxi Dress With Wrap Belt ($76), but *don’t* dress it up any more than it has to. We’re talking zero accessories here, and finished with natural makeup and a negative space mani as to not weight down your floats-like-a-goddess gown.
7. Elizabeth Banks: Our favorite takeaway from Elizabeth’s flirty dress is that metallic details can make the outfit. It’s a style hack that can turn an office-ready dress like this Zara Open Back Dress ($80) into a straight-up stunner. Spark the transformation with a delicate lariat, or take it there with a full-on body chain.
8. Selena Gomez: We’re not the only ones loving that the off-the-shoulder look has gone back to its glamorous vintage roots after its ’90s club kid stint. Selena shows just how chic the look can be with peek-a-boo shoulders and a tastefully bare back. Take the look off the carpet with this H&M Off the Shoulder Dress ($35) with pair it with strappy pumps and impossibly delicate accessories.
9. Jessie J: If you ask us, one of the best looks of the night was not a dress. Jessie J’s fitted pantsuit was an especially posh — and unexpected — take on red carpet style. Stand out from the crowd this holiday season and follow suit with a matching set, or hack the look with a MissGuided Deliana Long Sleeved Wrap Wide Leg Jumpsuit ($48) that gives you the same graceful feel with just one garment.
10. Jennifer Lopez: Sure, J Lo looked a little like a human ballet slipper, but those wrap details around her middle are undeniably cool. Look for a dress that boasts the same kind of criss cross detail like Lashes of London Geo Jacquard Prom Dress With Cross Front ($133) for a more cutting edge take on flashing your midriff.
11. Rita Ora: If you’re over red and green, and even metallics are starting to seem tired around the holidays, Rita’s got a hue for you to hop on. Wow in daisy yellow, especially if the dress in question boasts show-stopping volume, like with a train or the peplum hem on this ASOS Satin Shift ($124). A red lip *will* work with this color, but we’ll defer to Rita and rock a nude lip and impress with a hand chain instead.
12. Kylie Jenner: Lately, Kylie has been the one in the Kardashian koven to steal the show, and she continues her streak here with strappy burgandy gown that’s sooo ’90s it hurts-so-good. While the satin dress is draped flawlessly on Kylie, the color is what matters here. Seek out a similarly goth-inspired hue like on this Keepsake Adore You Cutaway Dress ($168) to keep the night all about you (and not your supermodel sister). And just remember, there’s never any shame in the arm party game.
13. Zendaya Coleman: Zendaya’s not-quite-pajamas, not-quite pantsuit ensemble glistened on the red carpet like a dream. Channel the singer’s shinier-than-thou style with this So Slick Pleated Trouser ($62) that catches the light at every angle. Pair this more fitted trouser with a bustier-style crop top and balance out the slick look with teased out-to-there hair.
14. Lucy Hale: Lucy reminds us that an LBD can be as occasion-worthy as a glittering gown, you just have to find that’s just as fierce. Look for add-ons that make it feel more one-of-a-kind, like the beadwork on this Topshop Gem Embellished Skater Dress ($160). Here’s your chance to go super bold with the makeup: brush out those brows and pucker up with your vampy lip shade of choice.
What AMA look is your favorite? Will you be channeling it this holiday season? Tell us about which stars are inspiring your party-ready get ups in the comments below.
(photos E! Online)