14 Party-Ready Outfits from the AMAs Red Carpet
Sure, the American Music Awards may have been all about the booty this year (thanks J Lo, Iggy + Nicki), but last night, the recording industry’s most popular artists proved that it isn’t the only asset worth flaunting come your turn to dress up this season (let’s just roll with that pun). Plunging necklines, thigh-high slits, off-the-shoulder cuts and crop tops ruled the largely body-con free red carpet, showcasing slinky, ‘70s-inspired silhouettes that every girl should try this holiday, whether or not you’ve got buns, hun. Get your glam on with these 14 party-ready outfits straight from the best dressed at the AMAs.
1. Fergie: Besides loving Fergie with barely-there makeup, we’re completely sold on her classic black maxi, which sets an extremely (thigh) high standard for the silhouette. Take note: if it’s not equipped with a slit, like this Pink Clove One Shoulder Maxi Dress ($36), it’s simply not Fergalicious enough for the holiday. Style it out with matching metallic accessories from head to toe: chokers, stacking rings and anklets are all fair game.
2. Kate Beckinsale: Kate shows how classy a plunging neckline can be, in part due to the figure-hugging (not skin-tight) fit, pure white hue and her minimal, yet totally impactful accessories. Show off that collar bone in this (bra-friendly) Topshop Cutout Bralet Bodycon Dress ($70) that would look just as posh paired with a rhinestone stunner around the neck.
3. Julianne Hough: Take a cue from Julianne and go for a maxi dress with next-level detail around the plunging neckline. This Forever 21 Caged Maxi Dress ($23) is an all-in-one eye catcher, no statement necklace necessary (though feel free to slip on an arm cuff or two, because why not?).
4. Nicki Minaj: Leave it to Nicki to turn up one of the preppiest cuts a cocktail party as ever seen — the fit and flare dress. A number with mesh cutouts, like this ASOS Petite Exclusive Scuba Skater Dress ($76) adds edge to the pretty silhouette, along with a red carpet-approved arm cuff. Finish the look sweetly with a cat eye and red lip, or do as Nicki does and apply a frosted lipstick and boosted lashes.
5. Taylor Schilling: Taylor is rocking three of our favorite trends: asymmetric hems, a black and white color palette and a pop of color pump. While this look would be easy to build with separates — find a modern white blouse + belt it over a black wrap skirt — a dress always feels more special. Get the same vibe with this ASOS Mesh Asymmetric Hem Body-Conscious Dress ($67) and pair with your most festive pumps.
6. Olivia Munn: We have to give it to Olivia. She went for it in a floor-length sequined dress, and dared to amp it up even more with a statement belt, drop earrings and a plum lip. *Do* go head-to-toe in gold, like this Love Plunge Neck Maxi Dress With Wrap Belt ($76), but *don’t* dress it up any more than it has to. We’re talking zero accessories here, and finished with natural makeup and a negative space mani as to not weight down your floats-like-a-goddess gown.
7. Elizabeth Banks: Our favorite takeaway from Elizabeth’s flirty dress is that metallic details can make the outfit. It’s a style hack that can turn an office-ready dress like this Zara Open Back Dress ($80) into a straight-up stunner. Spark the transformation with a delicate lariat, or take it there with a full-on body chain.
8. Selena Gomez: We’re not the only ones loving that the off-the-shoulder look has gone back to its glamorous vintage roots after its ’90s club kid stint. Selena shows just how chic the look can be with peek-a-boo shoulders and a tastefully bare back. Take the look off the carpet with this H&M Off the Shoulder Dress ($35) with pair it with strappy pumps and impossibly delicate accessories.
9. Jessie J: If you ask us, one of the best looks of the night was not a dress. Jessie J’s fitted pantsuit was an especially posh — and unexpected — take on red carpet style. Stand out from the crowd this holiday season and follow suit with a matching set, or hack the look with a MissGuided Deliana Long Sleeved Wrap Wide Leg Jumpsuit ($48) that gives you the same graceful feel with just one garment.
10. Jennifer Lopez: Sure, J Lo looked a little like a human ballet slipper, but those wrap details around her middle are undeniably cool. Look for a dress that boasts the same kind of criss cross detail like Lashes of London Geo Jacquard Prom Dress With Cross Front ($133) for a more cutting edge take on flashing your midriff.
11. Rita Ora: If you’re over red and green, and even metallics are starting to seem tired around the holidays, Rita’s got a hue for you to hop on. Wow in daisy yellow, especially if the dress in question boasts show-stopping volume, like with a train or the peplum hem on this ASOS Satin Shift ($124). A red lip *will* work with this color, but we’ll defer to Rita and rock a nude lip and impress with a hand chain instead.
12. Kylie Jenner: Lately, Kylie has been the one in the Kardashian koven to steal the show, and she continues her streak here with strappy burgandy gown that’s sooo ’90s it hurts-so-good. While the satin dress is draped flawlessly on Kylie, the color is what matters here. Seek out a similarly goth-inspired hue like on this Keepsake Adore You Cutaway Dress ($168) to keep the night all about you (and not your supermodel sister). And just remember, there’s never any shame in the arm party game.
13. Zendaya Coleman: Zendaya’s not-quite-pajamas, not-quite pantsuit ensemble glistened on the red carpet like a dream. Channel the singer’s shinier-than-thou style with this So Slick Pleated Trouser ($62) that catches the light at every angle. Pair this more fitted trouser with a bustier-style crop top and balance out the slick look with teased out-to-there hair.
14. Lucy Hale: Lucy reminds us that an LBD can be as occasion-worthy as a glittering gown, you just have to find that’s just as fierce. Look for add-ons that make it feel more one-of-a-kind, like the beadwork on this Topshop Gem Embellished Skater Dress ($160). Here’s your chance to go super bold with the makeup: brush out those brows and pucker up with your vampy lip shade of choice.
What AMA look is your favorite? Will you be channeling it this holiday season? Tell us about which stars are inspiring your party-ready get ups in the comments below.
(photos E! Online)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.