Celebs Are Blacking Out Social Media in Support of Tonight’s Golden Globes Protest
The Golden Globes are nearly upon us, but we needn’t have waited for tonight’s red carpet to see a serious blackout. In addition to the all-black clothing we’ve already begun seeing from some of Hollywood’s finest, A-listers all but blacked out social media today with the dark hue, encouraging women and men the world over to get in on the movement by donning their own dark-as-night clothing. Some, such as Anne Hathaway and Salma Hayek, used the posts as an opportunity to share the reasoning behind their wardrobe decisions, while others appealed to the masses to get in on the fun and to support TIME’S UP, a new initiative from Tinsel Town’s brightest star to aid sexual misconduct victims in other industries in pursuing legal action. Read on to see who’s leading the charge below, and don’t forget to check back for all our live coverage of the red carpet at 6/5c.
1. Reese Witherspoon: Witherspoon, who has been spearheading the initiative, even designing a pin to go with all the black frocks we’ll be seeing tonight, shared a group photo with other famous faces pushing the movement forward, including Rashida Jones, Emma Watson, Emilia Clarke, Amy Poehler, and more, writing, “Join us as we stand up in solidarity.”
2. Salma Hayek: Hayek, who penned a memorable op-ed on her own experiences with Harvey Weinstein for the The New York Times last year, pulled double duty, posting a shot of herself in a single-shoulder outfit and saying, “I was wearing black on Thursday and yes I’m wearing black today — not out of mourning, but out of an awakening.”
3. Bella Thorne: Thorne shared a snap of herself cozying up in a fuzzy black coat while standing out in the cold, sharing a deeply personal story by saying, “I was sexually abused and physically growing up from the day I can remember ‘til I was 14… when I finally had the courage to lock my door at night and sit by it. All damn night. Waiting for someone to take advantage of my life again. Over and over I waited for it to stop and it finally did. But some of us aren’t as lucky to get out alive. Please today stand up for every soul mistreated. “#timeup.”
4. Jennlfer Lopez: Showing that the movement extended far beyond the Golden Globes, J.Lo took to a podium in Puerto Rico, saying, “Today is the Golden Globes in Los Angeles, and a lot of the women with #TIMESUP are standing up for equality, to be treated equally, and for sexual harassment, and I stand here today in black doing the same from far away.”
5. Kerry Washington: The Scandal star shared a shot of herself along with gal pals Rashida Jones and Tessa Thompson shimmying in black tees, saying, “TODAY! Whoever you are, wherever you are doing — WEAR BLACK in solidarity. Because #TIMESUP on the imbalance of power. We all deserve to be safe and be seen. Tag photos of yourself, friends, and family in BLACK so we can amplify you!”
6. Alyssa Milano: Dressing up in black wasn’t enough for Milano, who aimed to start a new social media trend, writing, “Join me in making all your profile pictures black in support of all the men and women fighting for respect, equality, and meaningful change in the workplace. Pass it on.”
7. Uzo Aduba: The OITNB star joined The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants actress Amber Tamblyn in donning the TIME’S UP tee, saying, “Joining my girl @amberrosetamblyn, and all women, across all industries standing up for equality, representation, and pay parity. Solidarity. Now.”
8. Anne Hathaway: The Oscar-winner shared her own personal reasons for rocking the hue, writing, “Today I wear black to amplify the voices of those who have been silenced. I wear black for all those who have gone before, on whose shoulders we have been lifted to this moment. I wear black in hope and rage. I wear black for me, and for you, too.”
9. Beth Behrs: The former 2 Broke Girls star brought the movement to the streets, writing, “I’m at the farmer’s market and working on buying a fresh herb garden but I’m repping #timesup with my sisters and #sheherdpower to stand with all survivors of sexual harassment, assault, and abuse.”
10. Shailene Woodley: Woodley reminded us all that black wasn’t just a color for women today, saying, “When you Facetime yo man first thing in the am only to discover he’s already wearing black in support of @timesupnow. Damn I love him. #CrushingHard.”
11. Marisa Tomei: Tomei looked adorable dancing around in the TIME’S UP tee, excitedly saying, ‘It’s here! It’s today!’ A lovely day indeed because #TIMESUP.”
12. Sarah Jessica Parker: Carrie Bradshaw would never miss out on a trend this big, and neither will her real life alter ego, with Parker posting a shot of the movement’s official shirt and writing, “Leaving arctic temperatures, honking horns and heading West. With everything I need.”
13. Mark Ruffalo: The actor wished everyone a happy New Year with a black avengers tee in support of ladies everywhere. “It’s been a long time coming, and it’s here, and it’s exciting,” he said.
14. America Ferrera: The newly pregnant star couldn’t use enough caps to explain her reasoning. “BECAUSE EVERY WOMAN, EVERYWHERE, HAS POWER AND A VOICE. BECAUSE EVERY WOMAN, EVERYWHERE, DESERVES SAFETY AND DIGNITY.” Hear, hear!
Will you be wearing black tonight? Tell us why with #WhyIWearBlack @BritandCo.
(Photo via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty)