The first few days of tackling your brand-new exercise routine seem to always go off without a hitch. But fast forward to day 10 in the gym, and if you’re like us, you’re already wishing you were elsewhere. Staying on-track is one of the hardest parts of working out (yes, even harder than minutes of mountain climbers), but it’s a mental battle you can crush if you know exactly how to pump yourself up pre-workout and keep a focused mindset once you’ve stopped sweating.
So we tapped celebrity trainer, CosmoBody coach and full-fledged girl crush Astrid McGuire to spill what it’s *really* takes to reach your fitness goals. With a wealth of super fit A-list clients including Julianne Hough, the former-model knows a thing or two about getting real, long-lasting results while making workouts fun (with classes like Shorts and Tank Top Toned or Make Him Jealous Cardio, how could getting fit not be?). Scroll through to learn Astrid’s golden rules to getting the bod you’ve always wanted — even on the busiest of schedules — once and for all.
1. Schedule It into Your Day: The secret to *really* transforming your body? “Discipline,” says Astrid, and that means scheduling a workout into even your most fully-booked days. “I look at my calendar every night and think: I’m gonna have to get up, do my workout, jump in the shower, head to the plane, and then go straight to dinner when I arrive. But that way I know I’m gonna get up and do something. People say it’s crazy but then people say ‘How did you get your body like that’!” So schedule it like you would a flight, a doctor’s appointment or getting your nails done. That’s what’s going to get the results.”
2. Make Everywhere Your Gym: “Not everyone has an hour to go to the gym, plus the 15 minute commute there and back, plus a shower. There’s an hour and a half that you can get it done, any place,” Astrid says. And yes, that DOES mean doing lunges in the office. “Get up and get moving! Take the stairs instead of the elevator, get squats in while you’re waiting for something to get done, put muscle on your body and tone your body. Those little things DO add up.”
3. Stay on Your Game at Home: Avoid the BIGGEST mistake you could make when you get home from the gym. “When we work out our metabolism spikes, but don’t go home and throw that all away by overeating,” Astrid says. “It’s all about balance. Have a healthy smoothie or trail mix snack with a healthy protein + carb combination before you do something a little more naughty.” Always stay away from heavily salted foods, but stay hydrated and plan out a filling post-workout snack like Astrid’s go-to, raw almond butter with apples and a hard-boiled egg.
4. Reward Yourself: The easiest way to push past those cringe-worthy workout moves? Celebrate your stamina. “The first five minutes are the hardest, and then your body takes over and releases endorphins and you’re there,” Astrid says. “Find something that’s gonna make you want to do it. If you’re thinking: I don’t want to do these burpees, say ‘after 10 burpees I’ll have a cocktail.’ Or even: if someone’s cute next to me in class I’ll step it up a notch!”
5. Be Realistic + Stay Positive: You’ve got your FitBit, your water bottle and even your gym-ready hair. But don’t leave for your workout without a positive attitude. Cheesey, we know, but it’s the truth. “If you put in the effort, you’ll get the results.” Astrid says, and a fresh attitude makes all the difference between breaking through your hardest moments. “Come back to a workout you didn’t enjoy… don’t be frustrated if you can’t do the move perfectly — take breaks along the way. And don’t panic if after a leg workout your pants feel tighter. After what may have been a lackadaisical summer, you’re adding muscle back onto your legs. It’s a first step to getting that toned, lean body.”
Do you have any secrets to share from your fitness successes? Tell us about them in the comments below.