10 Clever Ways to Respond When Someone Candy-Shames You on Halloween
We love Halloween. Actually, it might be more of an obsession. The parties, the costumes, the candy — oh, the candy. We say there’s nothing wrong with indulging in an extra trip or two to the office pumpkin bucket this time of year or buying candy corn in bulk to keep your private stash stocked — ’tis the season. But you might encounter some Hallo-grinches (a term we just made up) who feel the need to comment on your candy consumption and go all Debbie Downer on your sugar rush.
What you eat is nobody’s business but yours and your doctor’s. For all that candy-shamer knows, every other day of the year you’re chugging kale smoothies and eating lean proteins. (Even if you’re not — they’re still being rude.) So if you find yourself in the path of some “Wow, you must have quite the sweet tooth” shade, here are some snappy comebacks you could clap back with (even if it’s just in your own head).
Because if they can’t get down with your treat, it’s only right that you give them some trick.
1. “Girls just wanna have fun-size.”
2. “I had Skittles already, so I need some M&Ms for a fully balanced breakfast.”
3. “I’m helping prevent other people getting diabetes.”
4. “I wasn’t going to eat this candy corn, I was going to stick pieces of it on my canine teeth to make candy vampire fangs. Unless you don’t want me going into the client meeting like that.”
5. “My costume is ‘Person Who Really Likes Candy,’ And I’m very method about it. I’m like the DeNiro of trick-or-treating.”
6. “You don’t know my life. Maybe I’m moonlighting as the ‘before’ in dental exam photos.”
7. “I have full custody of these Sour Patch Kids, and it’s none of your business how I parent them.”
8. “Wait — you’re projecting your food insecurities onto my eating habits? Does that mean…. whoa… are you my mom?”
9. “Boooo. Booooooooooo. That’s the ghost of the last care I had about your opinions. Spooky, right?”
10. “Oh wow, I didn’t realize you also had a degree in dietary nutrition. That must be why you think you have any authority to comment on my food choices. Let’s hear some more of your expert knowledge!”
What’s your go-to response when someone’s being judgmental about what you eat? Tweet us your tips (polite or snarky) @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)