These 14 Pieces Prove Ruffles CAN Be Cool
Maybe ruffles aren’t the first things that come to mind when you’re trying to put together a date-night outfit that strikes just the right balance of edgy, sexy and romantic. But all ruffles are not created equal. Let’s set the record straight — it’s totally possible to rock ruffles without looking like Little Bo Beep. Don’t believe us? We promise these 14 flirty, feminine and totally cool tops, frocks and skirts will elevate your Valentine’s Day style.
1. Mango Fluted-Hem Blouse ($30): This vibrant topper is perfect for Valentine’s Day — the color is totally on point. But what we really love is the shirt’s relaxed fit that gives the ruffled hem a more laid-back look.
2. H&M Sleeveless Ruffled Dress ($60): Forget frilly; this ruffle-hemmed dress is cool and contemporary. The bright blue scuba fabric is on trend, but it’s the asymmetrically cut ruffles that drive the look home.
3. Koshka Ruffle Sleeve Grid Top ($64): Oversized sleeves and a cropped waist give this printed top big personality. Pair it with a leather pencil skirt or high-waisted trousers and pumps (might we suggest a chunky heel?) for maximum impact.
4. ASOS CURVE Jumpsuit in Scuba With One Shoulder ($85): With its dramatic neckline, striking jewel-tone hue and scuba material, this jumpsuit is the piece you need if you’re looking to make a grand entrance. It’s sure to turn heads.
5. Nasty Gal Thread Lightly Top ($58): You’d think eyelet + ruffles would be a recipe for a fashion disaster, but this fun, flirty top is anything but. Dress it up with sleek, tailored pieces for a Valentine’s look that is both stylish and sweet.
6. Forever 21 Ruffle Trim Romper ($30): We’re all about fuss-free style, especially when it comes to holidays, which is why we love this simple, sassy romper. Throw it on and get on with the festivities.
7. H&M Ruffled Crêpe Dress ($50): Looking for something a little more sophisticated? This understated shift dress, with its strategically situated ruffles, seriously delivers.
8. Plenty by Tracy Reese Flared Faux-Leather Skirt ($148): If you’re a no-frills kind of girl, this ruffled faux-leather skirt will give you the edgy look you love, but with a subtle feminine touch.
9. Red Long Sleeve Ruffle Top ($17): Not totally sold on the ruffle idea? These sheer ruffled sleeves make this sweater the ideal entry-level piece for ruffle-phobes (yup, we just made that word up) this V-day.
10. ASOS Crepe Ruffle Sleeve Cold Shoulder Top ($53): Go ahead and give him the cold shoulder this Valentine’s Day. The ruffled cutout shoulders on this trendy tee pack plenty of eye-catching appeal.
11. DailyLook Ruffled Crop Top ($30): Short (literally) and sweet, this coquettish crop top (which comes in black too!) makes the ideal Valentine’s get-up when paired with an A-line midi skirt and heels.
12. Cameo Warm Thoughts Ruffle Halter Dress ($170): Yes, there is such a thing as statement ruffles, and these are definitely it.
13. Clu Too Plaid Ruffled Top ($54): If you’re hitting the lifts this Valentine’s Day, make this girly plaid top your après ski go-to. It pairs perfectly with fireside chats and a bottle of wine.
14. Tobi Ruffle Me Up Blouse ($32): Bold blooms are on our list of must-try trends this spring, so why not get a head start by rocking this flirty floral number for your Valentine’s Day rendezvous?
Think you’ll rock some ruffles this Valentine’s Day? Tell us which piece is your favorite in the comments!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!