These 14 Pieces Prove Ruffles CAN Be Cool
Maybe ruffles aren’t the first things that come to mind when you’re trying to put together a date-night outfit that strikes just the right balance of edgy, sexy and romantic. But all ruffles are not created equal. Let’s set the record straight — it’s totally possible to rock ruffles without looking like Little Bo Beep. Don’t believe us? We promise these 14 flirty, feminine and totally cool tops, frocks and skirts will elevate your Valentine’s Day style.
1. Mango Fluted-Hem Blouse ($30): This vibrant topper is perfect for Valentine’s Day — the color is totally on point. But what we really love is the shirt’s relaxed fit that gives the ruffled hem a more laid-back look.
2. H&M Sleeveless Ruffled Dress ($60): Forget frilly; this ruffle-hemmed dress is cool and contemporary. The bright blue scuba fabric is on trend, but it’s the asymmetrically cut ruffles that drive the look home.
3. Koshka Ruffle Sleeve Grid Top ($64): Oversized sleeves and a cropped waist give this printed top big personality. Pair it with a leather pencil skirt or high-waisted trousers and pumps (might we suggest a chunky heel?) for maximum impact.
4. ASOS CURVE Jumpsuit in Scuba With One Shoulder ($85): With its dramatic neckline, striking jewel-tone hue and scuba material, this jumpsuit is the piece you need if you’re looking to make a grand entrance. It’s sure to turn heads.
5. Nasty Gal Thread Lightly Top ($58): You’d think eyelet + ruffles would be a recipe for a fashion disaster, but this fun, flirty top is anything but. Dress it up with sleek, tailored pieces for a Valentine’s look that is both stylish and sweet.
6. Forever 21 Ruffle Trim Romper ($30): We’re all about fuss-free style, especially when it comes to holidays, which is why we love this simple, sassy romper. Throw it on and get on with the festivities.
7. H&M Ruffled Crêpe Dress ($50): Looking for something a little more sophisticated? This understated shift dress, with its strategically situated ruffles, seriously delivers.
8. Plenty by Tracy Reese Flared Faux-Leather Skirt ($148): If you’re a no-frills kind of girl, this ruffled faux-leather skirt will give you the edgy look you love, but with a subtle feminine touch.
9. Red Long Sleeve Ruffle Top ($17): Not totally sold on the ruffle idea? These sheer ruffled sleeves make this sweater the ideal entry-level piece for ruffle-phobes (yup, we just made that word up) this V-day.
10. ASOS Crepe Ruffle Sleeve Cold Shoulder Top ($53): Go ahead and give him the cold shoulder this Valentine’s Day. The ruffled cutout shoulders on this trendy tee pack plenty of eye-catching appeal.
11. DailyLook Ruffled Crop Top ($30): Short (literally) and sweet, this coquettish crop top (which comes in black too!) makes the ideal Valentine’s get-up when paired with an A-line midi skirt and heels.
12. Cameo Warm Thoughts Ruffle Halter Dress ($170): Yes, there is such a thing as statement ruffles, and these are definitely it.
13. Clu Too Plaid Ruffled Top ($54): If you’re hitting the lifts this Valentine’s Day, make this girly plaid top your après ski go-to. It pairs perfectly with fireside chats and a bottle of wine.
14. Tobi Ruffle Me Up Blouse ($32): Bold blooms are on our list of must-try trends this spring, so why not get a head start by rocking this flirty floral number for your Valentine’s Day rendezvous?
Think you’ll rock some ruffles this Valentine’s Day? Tell us which piece is your favorite in the comments!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.