These 14 Pieces Prove Ruffles CAN Be Cool
Maybe ruffles aren’t the first things that come to mind when you’re trying to put together a date-night outfit that strikes just the right balance of edgy, sexy and romantic. But all ruffles are not created equal. Let’s set the record straight — it’s totally possible to rock ruffles without looking like Little Bo Beep. Don’t believe us? We promise these 14 flirty, feminine and totally cool tops, frocks and skirts will elevate your Valentine’s Day style.
1. Mango Fluted-Hem Blouse ($30): This vibrant topper is perfect for Valentine’s Day — the color is totally on point. But what we really love is the shirt’s relaxed fit that gives the ruffled hem a more laid-back look.
2. H&M Sleeveless Ruffled Dress ($60): Forget frilly; this ruffle-hemmed dress is cool and contemporary. The bright blue scuba fabric is on trend, but it’s the asymmetrically cut ruffles that drive the look home.
3. Koshka Ruffle Sleeve Grid Top ($64): Oversized sleeves and a cropped waist give this printed top big personality. Pair it with a leather pencil skirt or high-waisted trousers and pumps (might we suggest a chunky heel?) for maximum impact.
4. ASOS CURVE Jumpsuit in Scuba With One Shoulder ($85): With its dramatic neckline, striking jewel-tone hue and scuba material, this jumpsuit is the piece you need if you’re looking to make a grand entrance. It’s sure to turn heads.
5. Nasty Gal Thread Lightly Top ($58): You’d think eyelet + ruffles would be a recipe for a fashion disaster, but this fun, flirty top is anything but. Dress it up with sleek, tailored pieces for a Valentine’s look that is both stylish and sweet.
6. Forever 21 Ruffle Trim Romper ($30): We’re all about fuss-free style, especially when it comes to holidays, which is why we love this simple, sassy romper. Throw it on and get on with the festivities.
7. H&M Ruffled Crêpe Dress ($50): Looking for something a little more sophisticated? This understated shift dress, with its strategically situated ruffles, seriously delivers.
8. Plenty by Tracy Reese Flared Faux-Leather Skirt ($148): If you’re a no-frills kind of girl, this ruffled faux-leather skirt will give you the edgy look you love, but with a subtle feminine touch.
9. Red Long Sleeve Ruffle Top ($17): Not totally sold on the ruffle idea? These sheer ruffled sleeves make this sweater the ideal entry-level piece for ruffle-phobes (yup, we just made that word up) this V-day.
10. ASOS Crepe Ruffle Sleeve Cold Shoulder Top ($53): Go ahead and give him the cold shoulder this Valentine’s Day. The ruffled cutout shoulders on this trendy tee pack plenty of eye-catching appeal.
11. DailyLook Ruffled Crop Top ($30): Short (literally) and sweet, this coquettish crop top (which comes in black too!) makes the ideal Valentine’s get-up when paired with an A-line midi skirt and heels.
12. Cameo Warm Thoughts Ruffle Halter Dress ($170): Yes, there is such a thing as statement ruffles, and these are definitely it.
13. Clu Too Plaid Ruffled Top ($54): If you’re hitting the lifts this Valentine’s Day, make this girly plaid top your après ski go-to. It pairs perfectly with fireside chats and a bottle of wine.
14. Tobi Ruffle Me Up Blouse ($32): Bold blooms are on our list of must-try trends this spring, so why not get a head start by rocking this flirty floral number for your Valentine’s Day rendezvous?
Think you’ll rock some ruffles this Valentine’s Day? Tell us which piece is your favorite in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.