10 Essential Supplies Every DIY Queen Needs to Have On-Hand
Every day is another opportunity to create. Creativity may spark at any moment, on your walk home from work, scrolling through Pinterest, or while gawking at a price tag for the tassel pillow you’ve been lusting after. So you put on your DIY queen crown and decide to add tassels to the pillow yourself. But then you’re stuck shopping for a bunch of random supplies. Have those essentials on-hand so you can craft the moment that creativity strikes (and while there’s still enough natural light to capture the perfect Insta of your completed craft).
Whether you DIY to save money, de-stress, or learn new skills, you’re going to need to make initial investments. Here are some DIY essentials you can gather in one quick checkout on Amazon.
1. Heavy-Duty Scissors: How many times have you scoured your bathroom for your bang-trim scissors to cut a piece of paper or even denim for a last-minute craft project? Gasp! Do not use your hair trimming scissors for jobs they were not intended to do. Instead, equip yourself with heavy-duty scissors, like these gorgeous CCR Heavy Duty Shears in gold ($22) so your custom overalls or freshly trimmed bangs, don’t end up looking janky.
2. Sewing Kit: Maybe your mom sent you to college with one of these in case a button fell off your pants. But thanks to mom, we’ve been able to use that same sewing kit to add tassels to our pillows and create retro swimwear looks. However, if your sewing kit is lost, depleted or just not cutting it, replace it with the INNOCHEER Mini Sewing Kit ($14) on Amazon Prime.
3. Hot Glue Gun: A hot glue gun is a DIY must-have, whether you’re a rookie or a DIY goddess. What’s particularly great about this crafting tool is that it can be used on a variety of surfaces including wood, ceramic, plastic, fabric, and more. We recommend the CC Mini Hot Melt Glue Gun ($13) on Amazon.
4. Hot Glue Sticks: Stock up so your DIY game can quite literally not be stopped. When working with furniture or art that will be used frequently and/or permanently, use the best of the best. We’re keen on Gorilla Hot Glue Sticks ($11 for a set of 45 on Amazon). Your beloved creation will have the best chances to withstand the tests of time.
5. Washi Tape: This embellished tape can be purposed for many crafts including stationery creation, envelope decorating, scrapbooking, and to decorate empty walls in your home. Washi tape is available in bright colors and patterns, like this highly rated Agu Gold Foil Washi Tape ($11 for a set of 16), so you’re sure to find an option that meshes with your aesthetic.
6. Glitter: If you don’t use glitter, did you even really craft? We don’t think so. With an expansive set like this Color Technik Set of 30 Glitter Shakers ($20), you won’t leave any project feeling underwhelmed.
7. Paper Cutter: Whether you’re cutting handmade business cards, Valentine’s Day cards, or greeting cards, you’re going to need to cut a straight line. But be careful; paper cutters are sharp. So find one like this YOFAPA Paper Cutter ($15); it has a safe-pressing design to ensure no DIY disasters. This paper cutter can cut through clip board, card stock, labels, and of course, paper, making it a great staple in any avid DIY-ers crafting rotation.
8. Tip Brush Markers: Hand lettering is not only a timeless art form; it’s also super on-trend. That being said, now is the time to hop on the bandwagon and begin your descent into the rabbit hole of calligraphy and hand lettering. With this set of Masterclass Dual Tip Brush Markers ($40), you can make signs, paintings, agendas, and even digital files for prints or computer fonts once you master this awesome skill. Your friends will be super jealous at your beautiful lettering… guaranteed.
9. Stencils: Even if you’re a skilled artist, you’re going to need to lean on stencils to create cohesive patterns or polished monograms. Grab this BHOME 20 Pack Stencil Set ($10) for any random projects that might involve personalizing tea towels with some of your favorite words like “flawless” or “cheese.”
10. Merino Wool: When you think of knitting, you might think of ugly sweaters and homely hats. But the knitting possibilities are much greater. Instead, you can use this 36 Color Set of Merino Wool ($11) to create masterpieces like these chunky knitted blankets that are all the rage right now. And who knows, if your DIY game gets strong enough, you may be able to become an Etsy star in your own right and rake in some dough for your skills.
Looking for more ways to add DIY projects to your life? Follow us on Pinterest for tons of ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.