Skip The Greeting Card Aisle: 18 Ways to DIY Your Stationery
In the age of texts and emails, it’s easy to forget how fun it is to receive some snail mail. But what makes it even more fun is when you make the cards yourself! These DIY’ed cards — from dip-dyed to printable — are anything but store-bought. So whether it’s a thank you note, a party invitation or just a friendly hello, these 18 notes come with a whole lot of (DIY) love.
1. Washi Tape Script Cards: Turn plain paper cards into a pattern frenzy with messages spelled out in washi tape. The best part? If you mess up, washi tape peels right off without ripping the paper. (via Omiyage Blogs)
3. Housewarming Announcements: Just moved? Your friends will be extra excited to check out the new digs when they see these super cute housewarming invites! Make your own by folding and cutting print outs. (via Oh Happy Day)
4. Your Love is a Work of Art: Who says Valentine’s Day is the only time to show your love for your SO? Use this printable template to create a handheld art gallery of photos of you two. (via Brit + Co)
5. Dip-Dyed Stationery: All you need to make this colorful stationery stack is hot water, fabric dye and cardstock. We love that you can make this ombre pattern in a whole collection of colors. (via Poppytalk)
6. Gilded Cards Three Ways: All that glitters is gold, especially when it comes to this shimmery set of thank you notes. Follow the tutorial for using gold glitter and paint for these fab designs. (via Camille Styles)
9. Leaf Your Mark: It’s the oldest trick in the book. With just a freshly plucked leaf and a hammer, you can make a naturally pretty stamp. Just place a paper towel over your leaf and hammer away. It leaves (pun intended!) behind a great all-natural watermark. (via Delighted Momma)
10. Bit by Bit: This one is for your techie friends. You can choose whatever shape you like, then follow a basic weave pattern using slits in your card and strips of ombre-toned paper. (via TrendHunter)
12. Fabric Swatch Cards: This set has all the vintage charm you’ll need! First, stain the cards with coffee and tea for an old-timey feel, then adhere strips of old fabric on top for a beautiful and colorful inlay. (via A Beautiful Mess)
13. It Takes a Village: This tutorial is two DIYs in one (yay!) — but you can do them both in no time at all. First, make your own stamps with a pen and a rubber stamp block (try houses or letters for fun). Then use that DIY’ed stamp to, well, put your stamp on your cards! (via Fellow Fellow)
16. Make Your Own Letterpress Cards: If you’re a DIYer with your own letterpress machine, you can easily DIY these playful cards. If not, get the same look with paint (you can even use puzzle pieces as your stencil) or stamps. (via These Moments of Mine)
Send us a note below! Tell us who you’re going to send your DIY’ed stationery to in the comments below.
If you lack a certain way with words, then perhaps you can rely on showing how you feel this holiday season with an artful greeting card you can make at home! Brit dropped by our crafting studio where we teamed with Camp by Walmart to create a choose-your-own-adventure holiday card tutorial. In the interactive video, it's up to you to decide what type of card you want to make — sentimental, or stylish? Three-dimensional, or keep it simple? After you've selected your design vibe, Brit helps you assemble it all together so your last-min card is ready to send. Get ready to pick up a few new DIY tricks when you watch the video now!