This DIY Mummy Halloween Costume Is Perfect for Lazy Girls
Prepping for Halloween is what we live for, but if time isn’t exactly on your side, we havethe perfect DIY Halloween costume for you (and even your boo). If you’re looking for a last-minute getup that’ll keep them screaming, then search no further than this easy mummy costume that is as fast as it is frightening.
How to Make a Mummy Costume
Materials + Tools:
- 1 yard of white and cream cotton fabric
- white tank top and gauzy white skirt
1. Cut slits into the bottom of the skirt. The more shredded-looking the better.
2. Use extra fabric to wrap around the top of the body.
3. Weave pieces through the wrapped pieces for extra texture.
4. Keep wrapping and weaving in a freestyle fashion until you feel sufficiently mummified.
Mummy Makeup Tutorial
1. White Base: Start off by using either a makeup sponge or a stippling brush to apply a layer of white makeup to your face, neck, and décolletage. You can go onto your arms if you really want to commit!
2. Charcoal Contour: To bring in that spooky depth, add a black and charcoal contour to the hollows of your cheeks, around your hairline, the sides of your nose, under your nose and lower lip, down your neck, and across your décolletage.
3. Bruised Eye Sockets: To create these bloody, bruised eyes, use a deep red cream shadow to make circles around your eyes, covering your eyebrows, and fill them in. Now add depth with a black eyeshadow to your creases, inside corners of your eyes, and along your lower lash line. To set your eyes, cover the rest of the red cream shadow with a lighter red eyeshadow.
4. Mascara + Eyeliner + Lips: Line the full brim of your eyes and add a couple of coats of mascara to your eyelashes. On your lips, just add a little nude gloss over the white, so you can have a little of your natural lip peek through the white that is on them from the first step.
Yikes. We’re having flashbacks from The Ring. Do yourself a favor and avoid looking in the mirror after you’ve had a few drinks ;)
(All photos by Brit + Co)
For more Halloween costume inspo, head to our Halloween section. It’s a doozy!
DIY Production + Wardrobe: Kelly Bryden
Hair and Makeup: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)