5 Activity and Location Trackers… For Your Pets!
Calling all pet owners of the digital generation! The future is most definitely here. You thought activity trackers for yourself were the next big thing? Wrong! As it turns out, activity trackers are going straight to… your pets!
As a pet owner myself, this technology is almost more meaningful to me than tracking my own activity. I already have a general idea how much exercise I’m getting, but have never really known what my dog’s habits are like. The fact that I can now remotely tell how much exercise Pixel has gotten on a certain day, or where he currently is at all times, is invaluable. Especially if he ever gets lost.
I’ve been using the Tagg tracker (see #3 below) for the past couple of months, but have recently seen an influx in new and innovative pet technologies. Here’s what’s currently out there in the world of pet activity tracking.
2. FitBark: We’ve gotta give props to whoever named this, considering it is basically FitBit for dogs. It is wearable tech that fosters an active lifestyle for your pet… and maybe for you too? With the FitBark devices, the FitBark home bade, and the accompanying mobile app, you can see your pets energy level at any given moment. Like with activity trackers for humans, the FitBark comes up with a daily goal for your pet based on weight. If your pet is meeting its goals, their BarkScore will be through the roof! The device itself comes in the form of a tiny bone-shaped doodad that fits right on your pet’s collar.
3. Tagg Pet Tracker: Next, we’ve got Tagg, a fully-stacked tracker for your pet (and the one that I’ve been using with my own). Not only does this gizmo track your pet’s location via GPS (linked to your computer or mobile device), but it also monitors your pet’s activity levels 24/7, like a Jawbone UP but for pets. This way, you can tell if he’s been more or less active each day, which might be a good indicator for his behavior and/or health. It conveniently clips on any collar and uses a built-in accelerometer to differentiate between various levels of activity – from resting to highly active. Plus, the GPS component means that if your pet’s activity really starts picking up speed, you don’t have to worry about losing him!
4. Ridogulous Smart Collar: Instead of clipping something on to your pet’s existing collar, why not replace the whole thing with an activity tracker?! Your dog wears the collar and is wirelessly connected to the rest of your world through your smartphone. You can track location, monitor activity, and scan health vitals to provide security, and can even play interactive games with over Ridogulous doggies!
5. Wandant: And last, a gadget currently only available in Japan. Described as a dog pedometer, this has a lot in common with the FitBark, Tagg, and Ridogulous. It is a motion-tracking gadget that supports health management for dogs. It has a three-way accelerometer, the ability to communicate with smartphones, and can log 14 days of data without syncing, if needed.
What do you think of these pet activity trackers? Obsessive? Awesome? Useful? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.
Hi, I'm Brit, the founder and CEO of Brit + Co. I'm a young mom of two, tech nerd and design-inclined lady who has a zillion hobbies and curious about... just about everything! My mission from the beginning has been to unlock women's creativity and courage to try new things so that they can find the path to their true passions.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)