6 Drugstore Skincare Products to Rival French Beauty Buys
Call it the Goop effect or just our love for all things French, but we can’t help that we lose our minds over even the most basic French beauty buys. Bioderma, Nuxe, Avibon — you name it; we’re searching for ways to get our hands on these simple, but luxurious staples short of buying a plane ticket. But it’s time we showed a little more love to our stateside shelves. We hit up our local drugstore and it turns out they’re stocked with plenty of gems that could rival any French pharm faves.
1. Dr. Bronner’s Hemp Rose Magic Soap ($16): Okay, seriously, we could write poems about this stuff. It’s our go-to body wash with its luscious lather and just-strong-enough fragrance that lingers every so lightly on the skin. Of course, there are a million other uses for this cult classic, but it easily makes any shower feel more like a spa day. Not to mention it’s a sweet swap for the French-approved Ushuaia body washes that fly off the shelves.
2. Vermont’s Original Bag Balm Ointment ($9): Skip the Gwyneth-Approved pick Homéoplasmine and use this bomb balm on dry, irritated skin that is prone to cracking, splitting, or chafing. It moisturizes without leaving a greasy residue behind. Not to mention it moonlights as a truly killer lip balm.
3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($16): A newcomer to the pack, this hydrating gel is destined to be a forever favorite. With ingredients like purified hyaluronic acid and olive extract, this lightweight formula is like a drink of water for your skin. Opt for this in place of the harder-to-get-your-hands-on Bioderma Hydrabio Gel-Créme Light Hydrating Gel.
4. Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner Rose Petal ($9): Give your Bioderma obsession a break and tone with this MVP instead. The ultimate refresher for stressed-out skin, Thayer’s remarkably soothing toner is made with rose-petal water, vitamin E, and witch hazel. It instantly calms skin and perfectly preps it for serums and moisturizers.
5. Bio-Oil Skincare Oil ($20): This isn’t just a Kardashian favorite; Amazon reviewers love it for minimizing the appearance of stretch marks, sun spots, and scarring. Massage this fast-absorbing oil into your skin from head to toe for a seriously luxurious treat. It’s got a deliciously dry finish similar to that of the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse minus the hefty price tag.
6. Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream ($36): Believe it or not, this exotic-sounding cure-all cream is made in the USA. However, it was inspired by the great sages and healers of ancient Egypt who sought out ingredients with anti-aging properties. This blend of olive oil, beeswax, honey, bee pollen, and royal jelly maintains radiant, healthy, smooth, and glowing skin. Put it up against the Avene Rich Compensating Cream and prepare to be amazed.