In a creative rut? Take a trip down to the grocery store. According to nationally recognized New York City-based nutritionist Brooke Alpert of B-Nutritious, what you eat can lead to a sudden spike in your creativity. Sure, catching a sugar buzz provides a momentary high, but regular consumption of artificial ingredients and processed foods could actually leave you feeling foggy, uninspired and even downright dull. Yuck! Instead, fuel up on all-natural foods. Alpert recommends the following 10 staples to help get your creative juices flowing.
1. Quinoa: This whole grains superhero helps keep you energized and is one of the most protein-packed foods we can eat. Starting your day with a bowl of it will give your brain the right kind of fuel it needs to be alert and focused and let the creative juices flow.
2. Chia Seeds: These little black seeds, which contain thiamine, vitamins A and E and zinc, are the culinary superheroes of your kitchen cabinet. They’re also loaded with healthy fats that all play a vital role in brain function and cognition.
3. Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries — when it comes to upping your creative juices there isn’t a bad berry in the bunch. These colorful little guys are loaded with antioxidants that fight brain-damaging free radicals. And because of their protective nature they improve memory and cognition, which allows you to tap into all those creative images floating around up there.
4. Eggs: Time to brush up on your omelette-making skills! Eggs are high in choline, an essential nutrient for brain function. The better functioning your head is, the more creative you’ll be able to get.
5. Chicken: No surprise that if eggs are good for the noggin, so is chicken. Chicken is high in protein and an amino acid called tyrosine, which is a building block for many of the hormones that help keep the brain alert.
6. Dark Chocolate: A great excuse to indulge? Dark chocolate has been linked to increased blood circulation, which helps to fight fatigue and keep you alert and super focused.
7. Water: Need more incentive to chug down H2O? In addition to improving your complexion and helping to keep you fuller longer, the clear stuff can also keep you on a creative track. Our brains are made up of 80 percent water, so staying hydrated is essential if we want to be running at full speed.
8. Ginseng: This herb has been shown to increase blood flow to the brain, thereby helping to stimulate creative thought processes. Add it to your tea or in your stir-fry.
9. Nut butters: The healthy fats keep your brain functioning well, and the protein keeps your blood sugar stable, which keeps your mood constant. They’re great because they are so versatile and can be used in so many dishes.
10. Hemp hearts/seeds: These seeds are loaded with healthy fats, which are the perfect nutrition makeup for your brain cells, keeping your mind as creative as possible. Alpert loves them on top of oatmeal or yogurt!
What do you eat when you need a creative boost? Talk to us in the comments below!