7 Colorful Frushi (Fruit + Sushi) Recipes to Serve This Summer
It’s hard not to love sushi, but you know what might make it even better? Fruit! “Frushi” — that is, fruit sushi — has boomed in popularity in recent years, appearing on menus everywhere as both a breakfast food and a dessert. While it may not be as unforgettable as a boozy summer fruit dessert, frushi is kid-friendly, gluten-free and often completely vegan, which means everyone under the sun can enjoy it. Frushi is as pretty and colorful as it is versatile and delicious, making it an ideal choice for entertaining. Serve one of these seven tasty frushi recipes at your next event for a menu item that pretty much everyone will want to eat.
1. Strawberry and Kiwi Sushi Balls: These super-pretty sushi balls are inspired by onigiri, a type of Japanese rice ball. Pro tip: Use plastic wrap to shape these babies into cute balls of strawberry and kiwi layered over white rice. They’re totally kid-friendly and 100% adorable. (via Apron and Sneakers)
2. Waffle Breakfast Sushi Rolls:Love the taste of warm waffles with sweet toppings? These sweet and scrumptious waffle rolls might not be the healthiest choice, but they’re definitely one of the yummiest. Made with waffles, cream cheese, sugar and the fruit of your choice, these frushi rolls are truly an indulgence. (via Tablespoon)
3. Coconut Cream Frushi:These yummy frushi rolls come with a chocolate and matcha powder dipping sauce. Together, the combination is both refreshingly light and completely delicious. You can choose your favorite fruit to top off these pretty frushi rolls, but strawberries, mandarin oranges and kiwi are our favorites. (via Miss Marzipan)
4. Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Sushi:If you’re looking to start your day off with something light, sweet and full of protein and healthy carbs, these peanut butter and banana frushi rolls might be just the ticket. You can pair them with Greek yogurt and berries to get some extra nutrients. (via Milk Life)
5. Fruit Spring Rolls:Okay, okay, so these aren’t technically frushi — but they’re pretty darn close! Inspired by Asian-style spring rolls, these snackable treats are rolled with fruits instead of the traditional veggies. We can’t think of a better way to make the most of those end-of-summer fruits. (via Sweet and Savory by Shinee)
6. Fruit Sushi With Raspberry, Kiwi and Mandarin Orange: These super-pretty rolls are made with sushi rice, sugar, coconut milk and honey. They’re topped with three petite pieces of fresh fruit (raspberry, kiwi and mandarin orange), which makes them both uber colorful and totally unique in taste and texture. (via Dinner at the Zoo)
7. Tortilla-Wrapped Frushi With Strawberry Coulis: For something a little different, try these tortilla-wrapped frushi rolls, which definitely fall into the dessert category. It’s hard to resist this simply scrumptious sweet treat. (via All That’s Jas)
Want more delicious + inventive dessert recipes? Follow us on Pinterest for more.