21 Fab Christmas Gift Kits for the DIY Lover on Your List
If you have a friend that loves to tackle new craft projects, then put down that mundane gift set and check out these do-it-yourself kits and classes. DIY lovers are some of the coolest people to shop for because they are *all* about learning new skills, trying out crafty home decor or playing around with new tools. Whether they’ve been talking about FINALLY learning how to knit or they’re obsessed with making their own home decor, there’s a kit out there for every interest. Plus, they’re all so reasonably priced that you can pick up two and make the gift yourself — win win. Scroll on for 21 rad gift ideas for all the DIYers, makers and artists on your list!
1. Brit + Co Knitting Online Class ($19): With days painfully short and Netflix queues epically long, it’s time to encourage your DIY bestie to get her knit on. In just 60 minutes, she’ll learn knitting basics and some quick fixes for common mistakes. Soon she’ll be rocking her very own handmade snood… and maybe making one for you too.
2. I SPY DIY Color Blocked Ceramic Canister Set ($20, set of two): Every DIY addict has more pens, pencils, rolls of washi tape and glue sticks than they know what to do with. Give them the gift of organization with this set of adorable canisters that’ll whip their workspace into shape.
3. We Make Collective DIY Online Weaving Class ($25): Brush up on basic weaving techniques and try it out on several different projects with this fun class. Each class project will have them creating pretty, hand-woven designs that they’ll be proud of and ready to re-gift back to you.
4. Brit + Co Letterpress Online Class ($19): Got a friend who’s all about those handmade cards? This letterpress class will let them take their skills to the next level and teach them how to make custom plates, mix ink and set up the printer. They’ll love being able to put their techniques to use on wedding invitations, holiday cards, business cards and art prints.
5. The Make Arcade Felt Cactus Craft Kit ($11): Love all things cacti? Who doesn’t! Grab this kit and let your BFF make her very own felt cactus to brighten up her workspace, nightstand or bookcase. Best part? It’ll never die. And could totally double as a pincushion.
6. Brit + Co Acrylic Painting Class ($29): Painters gonna paint, especially if they’re lucky enough to get this acrylic painting class as a gift. In just an hour, this class will teach your artistic BFF how to set up a palette, blend colors, add depth to your artwork and make a gorg masterpiece they’ll be stoked to add to their gallery wall.
7. Commonthread Moutain Tea Towels Kit ($35): Think of this like coloring, but with embroidery. Whether your DIY friend is a foodie or a new homemaker, they’ll love this customizable set of tea towels.
8. Urban Outfitters Real Ugly Socks Sweater Sock Do-It-Yourself Box Kit ($24): Ugly sweaters may come and go, but you can wear socks any time of the year. Let your holiday-lovin’ friend rock these socks all year long once they’ve decked them to the hilt with baubles, trimmings and *all* the sparkle.
9. Uncommon Goods West Coast Style IPA Beer Brewing Kit ($20+): Because beer, duh. If your DIYer is ready to become a beer brewing pro, this class will get them started on your first-time brew in no time.
10. Urban Outfitters Click & Grow Smart Herb Garden Starter Kit ($60): Indoor gardens can be a challenge, even for the expert DIY gardener. Give your friend a head start with this kit that has everything they need to grow herbs in just a couple of weeks. Fresh mint mojitos, anyone?
11. Brit + Co Intro to Embroidery Online Class ($29): Has your DIY friend been talking about how much they want to try embroidery, but just haven’t made the leap? This short class will teach them everything they need to know about fancy stitchin’ and pretty knots.
12. We Make Collective Shibori & Natural Dyeing Online Course ($25): Indigo isn’t the only trendy color you can dye with at home. This kit and course gives your fave DIY-er everything they need to learn about natural dyes and how to create beautiful shibori designs at home.
13. Williams-Sonoma DIY Pickle Kit ($13): You can pickle pretty much anything. Gift this kit to your foodie friend and get ready to enjoy the fruits — er, pickles of their labor at the next dinner party. #winwin
14. Urban Outfitters DIY Hanging Geode Terrarium Kit ($24): Raise your hand if you’ve got a friend who kills every house plant she buys. Gift her a totally customizable terrarium that has everything, including a glass vase and twine for hanging. And it’ll never die. Just like your friendship.
15. Brit + Co Succulent Gardening Online Class ($9): Cozy up your friend’s home with a fun, succulent class that’ll satisfy the pro-green thumb and the newbie gardener. The how-to is so simple and they’ll love the end result: a trendy wall garden they can prop up on their desk or bookcase.
16. Williams-Sonoma Grow Your Own Craft Cocktail Kit ($45): Nothing says #adulting like growing your own herbs for a fancy cocktail. Give the mixologist in your life this gorg kit that comes with essential cocktail tools, a sage grow kit and instructions for making the coolest sage scorpion drink ever. Cheers to that!
17. We Make Collective Lino & Block Printing Online Tutorials ($25): Once you get the hang of lino and block printing, you can make everything from dish towels to wrapping paper and throw pillows. Literally, this one gift could give your DIY friend a whole year of handmade projects.
18. Urban Outfitters Crystal Sand Art Kit ($30): Give the gift of classic sand art, but with the trendy addition of crystals and moss. This set is sold out, but would be super easy to DIY a DIY gift. (See what we did there?)
19. Brit + Co Paper Flowers Online Class ($9): It’ll be no surprise if your BFF wants to start putting paper flower arrangements *everywhere* once you gift this class to her. It’s a multi-purpose skill, so she’ll be able to use it for everything from boho headbands to wedding decor and holiday pieces.
20. Studio DIY Clutch Subscription ($20 per month): The only thing better than a new clutch? How about getting a new clutch every month?? With this month-to-month subscription, your DIY addict will get a new clutches delivered right to their doorstep.
21. A Beautiful Mess Messy Box ($20 per month): Got a friend who just loooooves scrapbooking, stationery and snail mail? Then this subscription box will be right up their alley. Give them the gift of pretty patterned paper, washi tape and cute stickers all year long with this fab subscription.
Who else needs a thoughtful gift? If you’re looking for more present ideas, follow us on Pinterest for even more gift guides and DIY ideas.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)