21 IKEA Desk Hacks for the Most Productive Workspace *Ever*
With the weather getting warmer (and calling your name), the last thing you want to think about is being in your office, let alone staying productive. But making your workspace uber productive isn’t just about purging your pen drawer — after all, a beautiful workspace is a productive workspace. At least, that’s what the pros say.
1. Gold Spray Paint: If you don’t like the look of something, pull out the spray paint. Instantly make your workspace feel more luxe by painting the legs of the IKEA desk gold or copper. It’s a super easy DIY that only takes a few minutes, and you can change it up whenever you’re in the mood for a new color. (via The Everygirl)
2. DIY Mounted Wall Desk: Raise your hand if your craft supplies have completely taken over your desk. Take the storage vertical with a wall-mounted desk and tons of shelves. The shelves can be moved up or down, so you can change it up to fit new needs. Add pops of color to fit your decor by spray painting the brackets or the edges of the shelves. (via The Crafted Life)
3. Minimalist Color Palette: For a more minimal or modern look, paint the legs of your desk black and keep the rest of the room simple with white, black and wood tones. Set up an inspiration board on the wall above your desk and make sure your space is well-lit with a moveable task lamp. (via 79 Ideas)
4. DIY Nordic-Inspired Workspace: If you live in a studio or your bedroom doubles as your home office, differentiate the space with a DIY wood backboard. Mount IKEA’s drawers and cupboards right onto the wall for tons of storage. If you need color, you can totally paint the drawer fronts. (via Hadas y Cuscus)
5. Butcher Block Desk: Give yourself double the storage by putting a piece of wood on top of two sets of drawers. The thicker the wood, the more expensive your DIY desk will look. Finish off the look with a wall-mounted pinboard and a basket underneath for hiding wires. (via Desire to Inspire)
6. DIY Desk Combo: The desks at IKEA definitely come at a perfect price, but sometimes they’re lacking that wow factor. Combine an IKEA desk and a laptop table to make one ultra-functional workspace. Give both pieces a coat of gold paint, and you’ve got the desk of your Pinterest dreams. (via Chic Street Style)
7. DIY Kate Spade-Inspired Desk: Every gal needs a little glam in their lives and no one knows how to rock a gold-and-black color palette quite like Kate Spade. Paint the legs of your desk gold, then add black and white striped paper inside the drawers for a fun peekaboo accent. (via Personally Andrea)
8. Inspiration for Days: Use the legs of a sawhorse desk as a sneaky storage space — keep the clutter hidden away in pretty baskets and boxes. Forget Pinterest; sometimes you just need to have your inspiration out in front of you for real. If you like switching up your art on the daily, mount a wire photo holder with clips for easy swaps and zero nail holes. (via Refinery 29)
9. DIY Kids Desk: When considering materials for your workspace, don’t knock a good piece of plywood: It’s cheap and gives the space a warm, natural texture. Hack IKEA’s bedroom storage by using plywood to hold them together and give the space a more fitted, built-in look. (via Growing Spaces)
11. Twice as Nice: Keep your workspace streamlined and stylish with white accessories (hello, faux fur) and a natural wood desktop. All-white everything can be the perfect blank canvas for you to start your brainstorming. (via The Everygirl)
12. Floating Shelves: Use two IKEA STUVA modules as the base of the desk and a sturdy piece of wood as the desktop. Add even more storage with floating shelves above the desk to pile on a few books, framed art or even pegs to keep your bag off the floor. (via Peek it Magazine)
13. DIY Office Desk: Keep it light and bright with lots of gold accents against white, and you’ll be on your way to a super stylish workspace. Add an inspirational quote to get you through those long afternoon work slumps. (via Beauty Ressort)
14. Multiple Work Stations: Can’t decide if you want to sew or paint today? Make your desk work double time by using the IKEA ALEX unit to separate the desk into two distinct work stations. (via Welke)
15. Nordic Chic: There’s a reason Nordic style is on trend — it just looks so good. Put your desk in a corner for a great way to double your workspace and save room for more fun projects. After all, having a space dedicated to your hobbies is a great way to stay creative.
16. DIY Mid-Century Desk Hack: Blend IKEA’s Scandi look with a retro mid-century vibe. Pick up a few things from the hardware store and transform your IKEA desk with new legs and a backer board. (via eHow)
17. Full-Length Workspace: Transforming your workspace isn’t just about finally alphabetizing your file cabinets; it’s about making it beautiful too. Minimal decor and desk accessories can help maintain an uncluttered mind. (via Sugar & Cloth)
18. DIY Color-Blocked Storage Top: Even the most minimal workspace can benefit from color-blocked storage drawers and a cozy faux fur seat. Add a tiny bit of gold and a plush faux fur to warm up your space. (via Livet Hemma)
19. DIY Marble Desk Hack: It’s all about that marble-topped desk in this sleek home office. If you’re thinking it’s time to update your desk, use contact paper to DIY your own glam desk, and add gold hardware for a super luxe look. (via Ann Lee)
20. Shared Workspace: Sharing a workspace or home office can be challenging (especially if you’re coworkers are your kids!), but you can make it work by giving them their own space and a bank of drawers to fill with art supplies. (via Nalle’s House)
21. Extra Book Storage: Looking for a creative way to showcase last year’s reading list? IKEA hacked their own desk with this fun and unexpected DIY. (via Livet Hemma)
Feeling inspired to take on an IKEA hack? Follow us on Pinterest for more home decor inspo and DIY projects!
- 10 Illuminating IKEA Lighting Hacks - Brit + Co ›
- 18 IKEA Storage Hacks for Every Room in the House - Brit + Co ›
- 35 of the Most Colorful IKEA Hacks EVER - Brit + Co ›
- 11 Companies That Hack IKEA for You - Brit + Co ›
- 20 IKEA Hacks You'll See Everywhere in 2018 - Brit + Co ›
- 19 IKEA Hacks That Are Going to Be Hot in 2017 - Brit + Co ›
- 24 Stylish IKEA Hacks for Your Dorm Room - Brit + Co ›
- 24 Stylish IKEA Hacks for Your Dorm Room - Brit + Co ›
- 30 IKEA Hacks That'll Keep You Organized - Brit + Co ›
- 19 Creative Workspace Ideas for Couples - Brit + Co ›
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)