2014’s Top Hair Color Trends + What’s Going to be HUGE in 2015
2014, you have certainly made us expect the unexpected when it comes to hair color. A few years ago it would have been wild to spot green hair on the street, but today we wouldn’t look twice. Every color of the rainbow has been spotted this year – and not just on Katy Perry. We’re all about the uncommon colors, and it’s looking like we might have one more to look forward to. Metallic hair seems to be the next dye job on the rise, at least in London.
Hari’s Salon on King’s Road is making its mark on the beauty industry with its new buzzworthy color. “We were seeing a lot of metallics trending in fashion and we thought, Hmm, why not hair?” Mel Halacoglu, a senior colorist at the salon tells Style.com. Falling somewhere in between ash and platinum, this particular shade of bronze helps “tone down full-on blonds, as well as softly lightening winter brunettes,” she explains.
While there isn’t any actual metal in the dye, Mel says she uses the “balayage technique” to apply the exclusive golden-honey hue – a shade popular with models weaning themselves off bleach. The technique is known for instantly adding radiance to dull strands and warmth to complexion. Looks like you can ditch the bronzer. Currently this shimmery dye job is only available across the pond, but we’re guessing it will make its way stateside in the not-so-distant future.
In the meantime, all this talk about hair color has us thinking about which colors made it big in 2014. Considering we’ve kind of seen it all this year, it was hard to narrow it down, but we did our best. Here are a few of our favorite hair color trends of this past year (most of which will probably keep going strong in 2015).
1. Rose Gold: Not quite bronze, but metallic in its own right, we’re expecting to see a lot more of this color in 2015. Rumer Willis shows off the brassy tone that’s a mix between red, pink and yellow. Consider it an updated version of strawberry blonde. (image via Just Jared)
2. Lilac: Considering lilac’s cousin Radiant Orchid was color of the year in 2014, we can’t say we were surprised to see this shade explode. Vibrant enough to make an impact without hurting everyone’s eyes, this color is the perfect first step into colored locks. (image via Pastel Illusions)
4. Silver: Gray hair isn’t just for grannies anymore. This hair color (or lack thereof) is making an impact on a dramatically younger generation. Whether you go for a deeper shade of gray of a shimmery silver is up to you. (image via Lux and Laune)
5. Glitter Hair: As a not-so-permanent option, glittered hair seems to be taking off. Whether you dip your whole head in the stuff or simply add a little bit of sparkle to a select section, this style is certain to cause a stir at any party you rock it at. (image via Nasty Gal)
7. All the Colors: Why have one color when you can have them all? From a two-toned ombre to a full-blown color explosion, this look is certainly for the brave, but also the beautiful. (via Culture and Life)
8. Babylights: If you’re not familiar with the term, babylights are delicate blonde highlights painted on using the balayage technique – the same way that bronze hair is created. The process gives hair color dimension, sort of like a blonde kid’s hair at the end of summer. Falling on the totally opposite side of the hair color spectrum, the technique used this way is designed to make hair look as natural as possible. (via @dominikagrnova)
Are you planning some major hair changes in 2015? What are you thinking? Share with us in the comments below.
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?
We turned to trusted intimates brand Adore Me to set us straight on trends for the year ahead, featuring size-inclusive bodysuits, romantic bustiers, lacy babydoll styles, and everything in between. Luxe sets start at $24.95 with free shipping and exchanges, and if you're not sure what style would work best for you, Adore Me has an at-home styling service called the Elite Box. You can try everything on from the comfort and safety of your home, keep what you love, and send back the rest totally hassle-free. Need more to pique your interest? Scroll ahead to see the silky lingerie and loungewear pieces we're adding to our cart.
Adore Me Svana Contour Set ($24.95): You can't go wrong with this playful satin cherry print and lace design.
Adore Me Luana Camisole & Short Set ($24.95): It was about time for a PJ upgrade, and this silky set is perfect for sweet dreamin' and lounging around the house.
Adore Me Gynger Unlined Set ($24.95): Va-va-voom! Hands-down the sexiest piece in the collection, this bra boasts a fiery red bow and skin-showing cups — literally confidence in a bra!
Adore Me Evetta Unlined Set ($24.95): This barely-there flouncy lace set is for when you'd almost rather wear nothing at all.
Adore Me Desirae Robe ($24.95): Take your self-care to the next level with this so-soft robe with subtle lace detailing.
Adore Me Clarisse Unlined Bodysuit ($24.95): This floral lace bodysuit with adjustable attached garters is straight out of our lingerie fantasy.
Adore Me Charlize Unlined Set ($24.95): If plum is more your power color, you'll love this sheer lace set.
Adore Me Helene Cheeky Plus (5 for $20): Our underwear drawer needs a little TLC too, and these comfy undies with coverage are the answer.
Adore Me Kaia Contour Plus Set ($24.95): Cutouts are all the rage, so why not have them in your underwear too?
Adore Me Kaia Contour Set ($24.95): Oh, and it comes in fire engine red — yes, please!
Adore Me Clarisse Bodysuit ($24.95): If you weren't sure about bodysuits, let this classic style change your mind.
Adore Me Corina Push Up Bustier ($24.95): Like more volume in the cleavage area? This sexy corset situation is for you.